Debating between dual and quad

jordan009

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
im debating whether tp upgrade from a amd athlon 245 X2 to a amd phenom X4 955 black edition ( or upgrade to a phenom X2 555 BE). would it make an improvment in modern games to be using a quad cpu instead of a dual? or is dual enough for games today?

It depends if games can take advantage of multiple cores. The games I'm playing right now X3: Reunion and X3: Terran Conflict (both space sims) unfortunately only uses one core so Dual or Quad doesn't make a difference if both are clocked at the same speed.

:??: :??: :??:

On the other hand, encoding video file using the X.264 codec and Handbrake utilizes all four cores in my quad. Unfortunately, encoding with X.264 is rather slow compared to other video codec because it is pretty demanding. Maybe I'll upgrade to an i7 CPU or wait for the next generation CPU.

It depends 3 main things to consider are, are you going to overclock it, what resolution are you playing games at & will you be upgrading the GPU in the future. If you are playing at high resolutions then you could be more limited by the card and you could just try a new cooler and an overclock.

tehdrizzle

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
I can say first hand as I went from an AMD X2 up to the 955 BE it was a HUGE gain. My gaming performance is better, let alone the multitasking. The 955 BE is very friendly as an overclocker as well and stays nice and cool! I've got my 955 running at a mild 3.41Ghz AND it's undervolted to 1.248v. With the Zalman 9900 heatsink I have an idle temp of 29c and under a prime heat test it doesn't go past 43c! Go with the 955, it's worth every penny!

loneninja

Distinguished

Athlon II X2 is a native dual core, no cores to unlock. If you haven't noticed, it has more L2 cache per core than any other AMD processor. It's the X3 and Phenom II X2 processors that unlock.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I am still using my E8400 @ 4.05GHz (dual core) and although it is up to the task today, if i was to buy a new CPU today i would definitely go for a quad core. The price difference between the 2 is so small... just go for the quad.

iqvl

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
AMD sucks these days, even a hex(6-core) AMD at much higher frequency can't beat an Intel quad i7 in most cases. Get an Intel one if you want a quad.

However, AMD Phenom II X4 would be your best bet if you can't even afford an i5 750.
Their prices are lower or very close to the price of Intel dual core CPUs.

Not all the dual sucks this depends of the game.

For Pac-Man and Quake the dual is more that enough. :lol:

Sorry was a joke.

With a tri core is enough since don't exist much games that use the 4 core. But if u think to future go with the X6 1055T or 1090T.