Something is overheating, Help Please

G

I Just got my new computer built, but something is overheating. I know that it isn't my cpu cause I just got a new cooler when i found out that it was overheating.

What happens is this, When i play a game it will after a certain time shut down, no beeps, no screens it will just shut down. I know that it is overheating because it will not shut down if my Window is open and it is cool outside(~15 degrees C or lower) and i don't think that it is a software related issue as i don't see how a software related issue can be fixed by cooling the computer.

Like i said before i got a new cooler for my CPU its the Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H5O. I also got a program for my graphics card that allows me to Change the fan speed on my Graphics card. I put the fan speed up to 100% and it doesent seem to change the issue. I also have a program that came with my Motherboard(Probe 2) that tells me the Temperature and voltage of my CPU and Motherboard(MB) and my cpu is at 35 right now and my MB is at 40 now. I dont know what the Temp is when it shuts down as It only happens when im in a game.

Now my Question is this, Is this my Chipset? or is it something else?

My system specs are:
Asus M4N82 Deluxe Motherboard.
AMD Phenom II X3 CPU
Nvidea Geforce GTX 275
Windows 7 32 bit
3 GB of Ram

Please Help me out here I really want to fix this before i cause permanent damage to my computer

Hi dude, Im assuming you mounted the motherboard onto the little brass stand-offs on your case and have used new thermal paste when you put the new cpu cooler on? daft things like that can often catch us out hehe, other thanthat post your build details to give us a better idea of what were dealing with :) will check back.

G

i used new thermal paste for my cpu and yes i did mount my MB on the brass stand-offs.
my gpu runs when idle and without fan increased at about 55 with fan increased at about 46 degrees, and it would be difficult to change the cooler on my gpu as its built in
what else do you want to know about my build?

mortonww

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
This has never happened besides when you're running a game? Could you use a program like GPU-z to log temperature of your graphics card to a file. Then when you reboot, you could check.

What kind of PSU are you using?

G

it only happens when im running a game, as fir GPU-z ive never used it but sure ill try.
and PSU
Techsolo Black Mamba STP-650 640W

mortonww

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
It sounds like your power supply is overheating. I couldn't find any information about the efficiency or protection technologies built into that model, but it's probably reaching a point of very low efficiency along its load curve and producing too much heat and then shutting off. Maybe leave the side panel off and see if the fan on the PSU is dead or faulty.

Is the psu top-mounted? How many other exhaust paths are there besides through the PSU and out the back? 120 mm rear fan?

Anyway, I really think your PSU is overheating. If it's possible, test with another PSU. If you're going to buy one, buy Corsair, Antec, or Seasonic.

G

well after running GPU-z it seems that my graphics is the one that is overheating as it will reach very high temps of bout 69-70 before shutting down. So is it possible to change the cooler on my Geforce GTX 275?

At the present time my comp is on my desk with the side panels open, and the only thing that i notice about the PSU fan is that it makes a very high pitched noise.

mortonww

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
70 C is not a high temp for your GPU. I think it's still much more likely an issue with your power supply. The high pitched noise could be related to the transformer inside the unit. If you go to your BIOS, what are the voltage readings? On your 12 V, 5 V and 3.3 V?

G

alright the voltages are:
VCORE is 1.312 V
3.3 V is 3.408 V
5 V is 5.026 V
12 V is 12.416 V

To me they seem ok but im not a computer expert.

mortonww

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
The 12 volt is a little high. I think it's within spec as long as it's +/- 5% (someone confirm), so that allows up to 12.6 volts. I think your issue is PSU-related. I would try to RMA the PSU and get a Corsair or Antec unit to replace it with. It sounds like it's about to die.

G

Ok thanks i am going to make sure by putting one PSU on the GPU and another on everything else. Ill then be getting a new PSU
Thanks for your help i was getting ready to first get a chipset cooler and then find out a way to cool the GPU before i would consider the PSU so thanks alot you probably saved me quite a bit of money

Maybe a little late here, but I definitely would second the PSU as the likely culprit. This sounds exactly like what will happen when you do something that puts a lot of demand on the CPU and GPU, and then the power supply can't take it.

Also, out of curiosity -- 3GB of RAM is an odd amount for a board that's not triple-channel. Is it 2x512MB and 2x1GB in matching pairs? Or is is mismatched, or only filling three slots? That can also cause screwy things to happen with system performance, though I wouldn't bet on it as a cause of the shutdowns. Just something to look into to maybe help your performance once this is sorted out.