Sign in with
Your question

Does 'ATI Radeon Xpress 1100' support Tv Out?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 27, 2010 8:53:33 PM

Hi,

Appologies if this is a basic question, but i'm still quite new to technology.... I'm struggling to find out conclusively if my Laptop can connect to my old 'CRT Tv' directly, so i can watch bbc iPlayer on a bigger screen?

So far i'm getting different answers, with about 50% saying yes just with 2x cables (see below), and the other 50% of people saying i need a special 'Pc/Tv Converter' box worth about £40!

My laptop was a good price from new but lacks some basic connections like s-video, so i've only got a VGA port to connect from (and headphone socket)

I've found several online computer suppliers, and i think that i need:

- 1 x 'Vga to Rca Composite video'
- 1 x '3.5mm stereo jack to twin phono'

But will it work directly or do i definitely need a special box?

I've tried looking at the ATI website, but it's not clear whether or not my vga card has Tv-Out capability

(if i can connect an external monitor, i should be able to connect to a television right? - it's still an output... or is it about the iPlayer signal...?)
(i don't undersand what the 'special box/converter' does as some people say it's for old type computers??)

If the answer is just to use the cables (thus saving money also) can i connect to the Scart on my tv, or does it have to be with the 'wht, red, yel' connections?

My laptop specs are:

- "ASUS" X51RL Notebook
- Intel Pentium Dual T2330 @ 1.60GHz
- Vista Home Premium
- "ATI" Radeon Xpress 1100 (Video Card?)

thankyou in advance to anyone who can sort this out once and for all

cheers,
Des.
March 27, 2010 9:11:25 PM

It is a laptop with no specific output except for VGA, without anything else your stuck with the other person's suggestion. Not sure what you mean by Scart. Is BBC streaming to you in HD, because that will mean trouble for your CRT as it uses the analog connection. Graphics cards that support TV out have the specific TV out port that is roundish, your laptop doesn't have that. Sorry you spent the money on it a Radeon XPress 1100 isn't your typical powerhouse graphics, it was made before HDMI had been invented.
m
l
March 27, 2010 9:50:44 PM

thanks for your input mate, glad to have some real feedback

'Scart' is what we use to connect say, a dvd to a tv, or games console to a tv (21-pin EuroSCART)

I'm not using the HD streaming as my tv is standard def.

I'm assuming then that if i don't have a roundish port (s-video?) but only VGA port, then i'm stuffed...?!

So why can't the streaming signal from my laptop be transferred via the VGA port on my laptop to my tv? (yellow composite connection)

cheers,
Des
m
l
Related resources
March 27, 2010 9:56:01 PM

My opinion is that HDCP, which protects a companies HD streaming checks for a digital connection to the devices and then lets the video play. Since you are using VGA either way it doesn't matter if it is standard defintion HDCP might block it from playing. Get the convertor from VGA to EuroScart, it should work if BBC doesn't use HDCP. Or if I could make a suggestion get a new TV with a PC input port.
m
l
March 27, 2010 9:58:55 PM

Des_Rob said:
thanks for your input mate, glad to have some real feedback

'Scart' is what we use to connect say, a dvd to a tv, or games console to a tv (21-pin EuroSCART)

I'm not using the HD streaming as my tv is standard def.

I'm assuming then that if i don't have a roundish port (s-video?) but only VGA port, then i'm stuffed...?!

So why can't the streaming signal from my laptop be transferred via the VGA port on my laptop to my tv? (yellow composite connection)

cheers,
Des

Because your CRT Tv is not setup to translate the VGA signal to a AV signal. Therefore you would need a converter box.
m
l
!