Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

How do I get my wife's PC to find the scanner shared on my PC? I have the
network set up, I have the printer connected to my computer and the scanner
(sharing), My wife has the wireless laptop. She can print fine but the
scanner program ..."can't find scanner" I have the drivers installed etc.
The printer was a piece of cake, just went to her laptop, clicked on Network
Workgroup, clicked my PC Icon, clicked the printer, it loaded the drivers,
viola printer. Now, I tried the same thing for the scanner, But to find out
it was nothing but a link (Driver) to my software, she can "Print To" my
Paperport Program etc...

Richard wrote:
> How do I get my wife's PC to find the scanner shared on my PC? I have the
> network set up, I have the printer connected to my computer and the scanner
> (sharing), My wife has the wireless laptop. She can print fine but the
> scanner program ..."can't find scanner" I have the drivers installed etc.
> The printer was a piece of cake, just went to her laptop, clicked on Network
> Workgroup, clicked my PC Icon, clicked the printer, it loaded the drivers,
> viola printer. Now, I tried the same thing for the scanner, But to find out
> it was nothing but a link (Driver) to my software, she can "Print To" my
> Paperport Program etc...

Normally, input devices cannot be shared, at all, but this isn't
always true of scanners. You'll be able to share the scanner only if
it's manufacturer provided specialized software for that purpose.

You have to use a network-capable scanner (which immediately
eliminates most, if not all, USB scanners) and specialized software
(that comes with the scanner) to do this. If you're talking about a
home consumer grade flatbed USB or parallel port scanner, you very
probably can't.

HP, Canon, Xerox, Océ, Kyocera Mita, and other companies
manufacture network capable scanners (They're actually multi-function
devices that also copy, print, and sometimes fax and email) and the
requisite specialized software. The cost of such devices usually
starts somewhere just below $5,000.00 USD.

The HP PrecisionScan Pro application, versions 2.03 and higher,
which normally comes with some of HP's low-end business scanners,
permits some of the scanning functions to be shared. Consult the
documentation that came with the scanner. (I know it works, if not
very well; I've set up HP ScanJet 6300C and 7490C devices to be
shared, using the supplied software.)

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: