Sign in with
Your question

GA-EX58-UD4P freezes at post-screen if any key is pressed.

Last response: in Motherboards
January 2, 2011 12:54:46 PM

Hello.
I'm having a major problem with my computer at the moment. It's basically freezing every time i press a key at the post screen, during start-up. This affects me very much, as it needs to be formatted soon.

I've been trying to do a lot of things like resetting CMOS, unplugging hardware and updating BIOS from Windows.

My hardware is as follows:
GA-EX58-UD4P
ATI HD4890 @ Crossfire
12 GB DDR3 Ram Kingston. (4x3)
Intel i7 Core 920

Does anyone have a possible solution for this?
January 2, 2011 2:11:43 PM

When you reset the CMOS did you hit the "Clr Cmos" button on the back of the mobo. If so, you could try doing it the old fashion way with taking the battery out located on the motherboard and waiting about a minute then replacing the battery.

If possible try to swap out keyboards to and see if the same thing happens on another keyboard.
January 2, 2011 2:28:22 PM

Thanks for the answer. I'll try the old fashioned way tonight. Does the computer have to be running while i take it out?

I have tried switching keyboards. No difference :( 
Related resources
January 2, 2011 2:42:44 PM

emil0srp said:
Thanks for the answer. I'll try the old fashioned way tonight. Does the computer have to be running while i take it out?

I have tried switching keyboards. No difference :( 

Make sure your computer is turned off and the power-cord is unplugged from the computer. Locate the battery right behind your SATA ports. Make sure you take anti-ESD precautions and ground yourself. I touch the inside of my case, but you can use other methods like the anti-ESD wrist band that most people use. Then remove the battery from its little holding area. Wait until about a minute passes by. Then replace the battery, plug her in and close her up. Then see if you can enter the bios by hitting "Delete" key without it freezing up on you.

Good luck mate. Let me know how it goes.
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 2, 2011 2:54:15 PM

Try moving the SATA ports around.

Q - What 'changes' including hardware did you make just before this started?
Q - What "Kingston" RAM?
Q - What PSU?
January 3, 2011 5:11:23 AM

I tried resetting the CMOS battery located over the graphic cards on the motherboard, and it gave me a message that CMOS was reset, just like when i press the "clr CMOS" button at the back of my computer.

Didn't fix the problem, unfortunately :/ 

Should i RMA my motherboard?
January 3, 2011 5:13:37 AM

jaquith said:
Try moving the SATA ports around.

Q - What 'changes' including hardware did you make just before this started?
Q - What "Kingston" RAM?
Q - What PSU?

The only change i've made to my hardware, was inserting a PCI-E sound card from Creative, and the problem actually occured after the new hardware was inserted. Unplugging the sound card does not fix my problem either.

I'll check my RAM and PSU when i come home. Thanks for the feedback.
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 3, 2011 1:16:57 PM

Creative Sound cards are known to cause problems. I would pull the Creative card, then run System Restore and select a Date Prior to the 'problems' -- if that clears-up the problems then RMA the Creative and exchange for HT | OMEGA.
January 4, 2011 7:06:20 PM

jaquith said:
Creative Sound cards are known to cause problems. I would pull the Creative card, then run System Restore and select a Date Prior to the 'problems' -- if that clears-up the problems then RMA the Creative and exchange for HT | OMEGA.

Thanks, i'll try it out tomorrow and tell you progress! :) 

Thanks a lot for your help
!