X58a-ud3r sound problem

bloodyred

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
Hello,

I have a gigabyte x58a-ud3r motherboard running with win7 and i had no problems with it for some time. But yesterday when i turned on my computer i received this message. and since then i have no sound.

2dv7whf.png

I reinstalled and updated realtek sound drivers but it didnt work. when i go to "run" and type dxdiag no sound cards is shown. and its written at the bottom in my mother language something like "Windows Audio service is disabled. Go to services console to enable it.

wu2xr9.png

But when i go to "services.msc" i get nothing like "windows audio" (or windows ses in my language) or something similar.

2yn42gi.png

When i checked the device manager sound seems to have no yellow or red icons to show that there is a problem.

n50yo2.png

i also have read that it might have a relation with bios that somehow it got disabled by itself, but when i go to bios, i dont see any option related with audio in "Integrated Peripherals" or whatever it is.

Please help me out with this, thank you.

Welcome to Tom's Forums! :)

Q - How is the sound being outputted? What connections are being used by your nVidia GPU?

Lets start simple:
1. Device Manager: [+] Sound and right-click Uninstall all of the devices listed.
2. Restart {reinitializes the drivers and rewrites registry entries}

Failure:
1. Device Manager: [+] Sound and right-click Disable all nVidia drivers.
2. Restart {determines conflicts}

The next suggestion is to Download new nVidia drivers for your GPU -> http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Verify that your Sound Output {Realtek Control} is the correctly set.

bloodyred

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
I am generally using hdmi cable connected directly to my monitor. i sometimes also use the headphone entrances that are in front of the case. i believe that might be when the problem started.

but right now i get no sound from nowhere.

bloodyred

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
Jaquith,

Thanks for your time, but i did exactly the things you said, even updated my gpu drivers but still the same issue. Is there anything else that i could do?

Thanks in advance.

Re-enable the nVidia and restart, open the Windows 7 Control panel {see image} verify that the Sound Output is the your 'speakers' wherever they're connected.

Failure, run System Restore and choose a Date when you know the Sound worked properly.

Win7_Sound.jpg

bloodyred

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011

Thanks for your time again,

In control panel i have no access to any kind of tabs related with sound. I double click them but nothing comes up.

The first thing i did was system restore after having such problem, it didnt help either.

Then more than likely you have a defective component that is causing an INIT device failure. Have you used the {illuminated} Clear CMOS button @ the rear of the MOBO {I/O Shield}?

Please list ALL components attached to the MOBO including SSD/HDD(s).

Q - How long has the MOBO been running without problems?
Q - What recent changes prior to this 'problem'?

bloodyred

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011

the mobo is working without any problems for like 6 months. the whole system is new and the case did not open up since then for any reason. I don't have much hardware knowladge so i did not use the clear cmos button.

the only thing i did prior to this problem was using the front and rear audio jacks of the case to get sound from headphones, instead of hdmi cable. which worked just fine till the next time i used the computer.

my bios version is shown as: award modular bios v6.00PG

> INTEL i7 930 2.80 GHz Quad Core Socket 1366 8MB
> GIGABYTE X58A-UD3R, X58, DDR3, 4x PCIExp, Socket 1366, SLI & CrossFireX, Sata 3.0, USB 3.0
> SAMSUNG 1 TB HDD SATA II 32 MB 7200 rpm (HD103SJ) (x2)
> GIGABYTE GTX 460 OC, 1024 MB, PCIExp Gpu, Direct X11, GDDR5, 256 bit, 715/3600
> COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Full Tower case (no PSU)
> MICROSOFT WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL TR DVD 64BIT OEM
> LG 10X BH10LS30 Blu-ray r-wr,
> OCZ 700W ModXStream Pro Modüler PSU
> THERMALTAKE ISGC-300 Intel i7, ve AM2+ uyumlu CPU Soğutucusu CL-P0539
> KINGSTON 6 GB (2048X3) DDR3 1600 Mhz RAM CL9 KHX1600C9D3K3/6GX (x2)
> LG 22X DVD-RW Double Layer black SATA

by the way, the first error message i get below turns out to be coming from a small program that i used to have, which come up on start-up. .

2dv7whf.png

Okay, this 'should' be solvable. {**} Run MSCONFIG -> select Diagnostic {or start in Safe Mode}. Next locate the crappy software that clearly didn't uninstall in the C -> Program Files or Program Files x86, move the folder to the desktop, run MSCONFIG -> Normal Startup.

{**} If the 'Program' is still listed in the Control Panel / Uninstall Programs then uninstall it.
Q - What was the App?
Q - Is the Problem Fixed?

bloodyred

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011

There was no problems uninstalling the program. What i was trying to say is that "i thought the first error message i get in start up is coming from windows, which turns out to be coming from the program" but the sound problem stays the same. i got it uninstalled but still having the same issue.

Okay- then Run MSCONFIG -> select Diagnostic. {Does it correct the problem?} The problem seems to be registry related if the mystery Application started the problem after being removed. Example IF the mystery Application rewrote the registry to point to something non-existent then poof you'll have an INIT problem because either a DLL or Drive is no longer available. The uninstaller for the mystery Application didn't correct it's 'changes.'

What happens if you 'reinstall' the mystery Application?

IF the OS {registry} is corrupted then you have (3) choices:
1. {Failed} System Restore ; try a setting 1 week prior to the mystery Application.
2. Registry cleaning App like CCleaner {back-up registry prior to running} http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner Use the Registry tab on the Left {Blue boxes}
3. Repair Windows via booting the OS DVD, see http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/startup-repair
4. Reinstall Windows