Videos lag and stutter after continuous use.

Apocalikik

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Hi, I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem and if they knew how to fix it permanently. If im online watching videos like youtube or hulu or anything in general, the more and more videos I watch the more laggy the next one seems to get. If i restart my computer this resets everything and it works fine again. I was thinking maybe it was my RAM or my Video RAM but I have a 1gb nvidia 9800gt video card so that wouldn't seem to be the problem. I was wondering if it was possible that the Video RAM was getting used up and after I watched 1gb of video it would start to stutter. If this is possible is there a way to clear Video RAM without restarting? Any help would be appreciated on this topic, thank you!

zalittle

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
Have you tried simply removing your history in your browser? Just a thought. My older machine sometimes had that prob, but by streamlining my system It curbed any problem I used to have.

Watching I doubt watching videos on YouTube or Hulu would even use your graphic card, it's mainly CPU based. The only thing I can think of is you might have too little computer RAM, or your CPU is getting a bit old. Even then, on my old single core Athlon 64 and 1GB RAM, I was fine for pretty much everything... Hmm. Interesting. Post your system specs if possible.

This sounds more like a memory management problem. You need to do a little troubleshooting:

Try three different browsers: Google Chrome, IE8 and Firefox 3.

If things work in one of these problem solved. If you still have issues it sounds like a deeper problem.

The only hardware reason you should have problems is too slow of a CPU. Monitor CPU usage in the Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL). If you aren't hitting 100% you're okay.

Apocalikik

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
I am using an Intel Pentium D 925, 2gb of system RAM, and I use Google Chrome browser. I also am getting this message in my device manager under motherboard resources "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because there is a duplicate device already running in the system. (Code 42)" I've run the troubleshooter and all it says is to restart, i restart and the error is still there, not sure if this is related though. I tried uninstalling the motherboard resources thingy and then restarted and that fixed the problem for a little bit, but eventually it keeps coming back. Like i said, not sure if this is related to the stuttery video though.

mteeple

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
Hmm Google Chrome really shouldnt be the problem, so if Anything its probably just your CPU maybe... if your trying to run youtube videos in HD that's probably it anything else i wouldnt be too sure about

Apocalikik

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Is it that my cpu is overheating? would that cause stuttering? I have speedfan installed and it reads my cpu at like 52C when im not watching videos but when i do its gone up to 82C.

noblebmxrocks

Honorable
May 10, 2012
if anyone that has a good computer is getting youtube stuttering problems, or youtube frame rate drops, it is Flash Player causing it in google chrome. in order to fix the issue, click the wrench on the top right corner of the browser. Click "settings". click "show advanced settings...". Under "Privacy" click "Content Settings...". Under "Plug-ins" click "disable individual plug-ins". click "details" on the top right to drop down all the plug-ins to see what is there. On my PC there were 3 "Shockwave Flash" plug-ins that were enabled, i disabled all but the middle Shockwave Flash Plug-in. Hope this helps people that are having youtube stutter problems when they shouldn't. Also make sure your Flash Player is fully up to date, which with chrome it does that itself. I hope this helps, it took me MONTHS to figure this out, i seriously hope this helps!