Dell 4600 Series

kragox

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
Wondering what kind of options I have for upgrading a Dell 4600 Series desktop computer. Right now the computer has a Intel Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz CPU and 256 MB of RAM and would like to get options on upgrading it. The computer is used mostly for gaming so any options would be great.

I'm not sure, you'd have to check whether your motherboard can suit any upgrades because that Pentium 4 would be a big bottleneck if you plan to upgrade the graphics card for gaming. Adding more RAM might help, although if your budget is big enough, it may be better to make a new system.

kragox

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
graphics wise I have a 128 MB GeForce MX 440 card in there. Don't really have the budget to get a new computer unless its rent to own but not really enthused about those prices. Have an 8 month old baby in the household so most of the finances are tied up there so can't really afford to put maybe 50-$100 bucks into the computer.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
A CPU upgrade really isn't cost effective and your options would be very limited anyway for a minimal change in performance. Best bet is to max the RAM for your system. You could also add an updated AGP video card, but once again, it will be questionable in terms of cost for performance gained.

My recommendation. Start squirreling away money to buy a new system and live with what you have until then. If you do anything with this, add memory.