New Motherboard Upgrade

servarus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
I want to upgrade my PC bit by bit. I got some new stuff and I figure I should do some upgrade. So, first I want to upgrade my motherboard.

Here's my current setup:

■AMD Phenom II X4 925 2.8GHz (Not OC'd)
■ MSI 785GM-E51
■ DDR3 4GB Kingston (PC3-10700)
■ Sapphire ATI Radeon 5750 1GB
■ Windows 7 Ultimate
■ CM500W PSU
■1TB WD Caviar Green

Bought but not yet installed:
■CM Hyper 212+ Cooler
■CM E430 Casing

My budget is around USD170 (based on conversion).

I am looking for something that has a nice compatibility with my current hardware. I am thinking of upgrading to X6, and maybe crossfire sometime way later. Or maybe buy a new one, not so sure... I'm quite happy with my 5750 since it can play most game at average-high setting.

I am using this computer to render 3D Visual (3D Max + Mental Ray/Vray), light CAD usage and Photoshop usage (for example making a board at A0 size).

About The Motherboard

i. This is what I have in mind:

MSI 890GXM-G65
The easy OC Switch is quite nice, I used it quite a while and I am quite happy with it. I however did not use it too much since I don't like how it affects the stock cooler. Since I got a new CPU cooler, thought I should use the option also. I like the Sata 3.0 and USB 3.0 support to. I'm not so sure about the others though.

Asrock 890GX Extreme3
My friend recommended me this, and from what I see it is quite nice. I'm not quite familiar with this brand though. Heck, I even thought it was an ASUS brand. But the spec is almost the same.

ii. What is a side-port memory anyway?
iii. The Heat-pipe design thingy, its for the on-board GPU right? If so, will if have any use if I use a discreet GPU?

Other Question

I change my motherboard would my Windows would be usable? And if the license would be valid?

**​

I hope I can get some nice input. If you guys have any other suggestion I'd like to hear it. Possible purchase date, probably around 2 weeks from now.

Solution
Since you already have a video card, you may want to go for a motherboard without any onboard video chipset and save a few bucks in that process.. Something like the Asrock 870 Extreme3 will be good.. As with the windows dilemma, I am not fully sure but you'll retain the license mostly.. Read the EULA.. This article might be of some good help to you -

www.ehow.com/how_6765419_change-having-reinstall-windows-xp.html
Since you already have a video card, you may want to go for a motherboard without any onboard video chipset and save a few bucks in that process.. Something like the Asrock 870 Extreme3 will be good.. As with the windows dilemma, I am not fully sure but you'll retain the license mostly.. Read the EULA.. This article might be of some good help to you -

www.ehow.com/how_6765419_change-having-reinstall-windows-xp.html

Solution

servarus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010

Yeah, you're right! I didn't think about that. I was thinking that more expensive means much better. Is ASRock 870 Extreme3 easy to OC? Like MSI for example has a simple switch to OC switch to it. Sorry for the many question, I'm not familiar with this brand. To be honest I didn't know it even exist. But I am willing to try.

About the ASRock 870 this picture of its rear connections shows colored USB, which is USB 3.0? I could get it for USD120 even less than MSI 870A-G54 plus all the specs and design looks appealing.

EDIT: I Googled the company and it seems they have quite a nice reputation, you agree?

Asrock is an Asus subsidiary and as such, is pretty good in terms of quality.. And that board is good with overclocking also.. Of course it won't match with few of the top level 890FX boards out there but its competetive enough.. And yeah, those colored USB slots are USB 3.0

servarus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010

I've read the review on the board and I am quite impressed by its OC ability. Seems to me that this will be my choice.

Though is my PSU sufficient? I think it should right?

servarus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010

Thanks for the input, I think I'm set on buying this motherboard.

And Tom's sure got a lot of spam problem...