Sign in with
Your question

First Custom Build - Suggestions?

Last response: in Systems
April 21, 2010 7:23:45 PM

This is my first time building a computer from scratch. I've done lots of upgrades on my current computer and am completely capable of assembling all the parts. I just want to make sure that all my parts are compatible, i'm not forgetting something, and it will fit my needs.

I plan to make the purchase in the next month.

What I will use the computer for:
-High-End Gaming
-Web Development Tasks (Work from home)
-General Computing

I want it to be reliable and upgradable (future-proofed).

My budget is relatively tight at the moment so I've built a core system. I plan on using some components from my current computer until I can afford to upgrade them.

New Components:
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
MOBO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
MEM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Reused Components:
GPU: nVidia 8800 GTS 320mb (Upgrade Later0
HD: Standard SATA 7200 RPM 500mb Hard Drive (Upgrade Later)
DVD: Standard 24x Drive
CPU Heat: Stock (Upgrade Later)
Audio: Xtreme Gamer (Upgrade Later)
Keyboard, Mouse, OS, Monitor, Speakers

Thanks for your help.
April 21, 2010 7:31:18 PM

Don't buy a $200 case. The HAF 922 is great at only $80. It's quite possibly the best case made.

Rest is decent. You may want to consider an 850W PSU depending on the GPU you're looking at later.

Also, don't forget to check for combos. I know there's one with the CPU and board.
m
l
April 21, 2010 7:33:02 PM

everything looks good to me, you wont be using the old heat sink the CPU will / should come with a new one.
The video card will be your biggest bottle neck right now, need to get a Nvidia GTS/GTX something.
if you really want your games to load fast and also load cut screens and new zones fast your going to want to do Raid 0 with two sata hard drives or get an sold sate drive (SSD) or do a raid 0 with two SSD's.

it makes a HUGE difference when you dont have to wait 15-30seconds to load into the game or a new zone. its very nice when it only takes 5-10 seconds :sol: 
m
l
Related resources
April 21, 2010 7:36:53 PM

I would advise against getting a SSD. They're expensive and don't actually do anything for real performance. Yes, they make the build SEEM faster, but is that really worth $300+?

As for RAID 0, that's also a bad idea. You get a slightly speed boost (not an actual performance gain), but double the chances of losing everything to a minor error. Unless you really like making backups and reinstalling everything, I'd avoid this setup.

Also, you should avoid nVidia cards right now. They're expensive and don't offer a lot more performance for the premium. Not only that, but they also require a massive amount of power and produce a lot of heat. It's impracticle to run them in SLI because of this. You'd do better to pick up a 5850, 5870 or 5970.
m
l
April 21, 2010 7:54:25 PM

SSD's are not 300$ if you dont need a lot fo space, i have two 64GB and there $159 each. and please prove to me that there not really any performance difference.
Lots of review and tech site all show how big of a difference they can make. installing apps, loading them and much more. anything that uses alot of hard drive access you will see a huge speed increase.

For as Raid-0, well that why you should be doing weekly backups of your data or at least monthly. Plus i dont keep all my stuff i cant afford to loose on my Raid-0 drives. that stored on a 3rd drive with is also backed up.

nVidia is not that much more then ATI. maybe 5-20$ but for the most part if you compare apples apples in the video card world you will never see a big difference in real life performance.
Iv just had much better luck with nVidia the past few years then ATI, Driver problems and just weird things happening. i Used to use ATI and AMD all the time but even sense the ATI and AMD merger i think they both went down hill and Intel and nVidia has blown them away.
m
l
April 21, 2010 8:05:47 PM

So you have two 64 GB that costed a total of $318 and they're not $300? Sorry, maybe what I meant to say was that SSDs in USEFUL sizes are $300+....

There is no real gaming performance increase. You don't get more FPS with a SSD. You don't get higher details. You don't get anything that's actually measurable. Yes, you get faster loading, but is that 5 seconds really worth $300?

Not that much more? The GTX 470 (which is only a tad better performing than the 5850) is $50 more. The GTX 480 (which is only a tad better performing than the 5870) is $100 more. I wouldn't call that a little. Anything below that isn't a good comparision, as those are the only DirectX 11 nVidia cards.

ATI's driver problems have been essentially sovled since AMD bought them three years ago. I would say nVidia is quickly becoming infamous for driver issues since their last one caused computers to become bricks. That's right. The last driver issue nVidia had (like a month ago) actually DESTROYED computers. I don't recall ATI ever having that issue.

Frankly, I think you're just a fanboy. No benchmarks or reviews backup your position. AMD's CPUs are great for low budgets (basically anything under $1,000) and all of the benchmarks and reviews completely back up ATI as the leader in gaming video cards. Just take a peak at the monthly "Best CPUs for the Money" and "Best Video Cards for the Money". The list for CPUs is all AMD under $200 and the GPU list is basically a complete list of ATI's offerings (the one exception is where ATI doesn't have a product).

And don't try to paint me as an AMD/ATI fanboy. I'm disappointed that nVidia's offerings are so poor right now. It's bad for prices and bad for performance. Having no competition encourages ATI to charge as much as they want for as long as they want. It also doesn't encourage them to invent new technologies. After all, why spend the money to research something new when you don't have to worry about losing any business?

EDIT: I should add that I'm not anti-SSD. I'm anti-SSD's premiums. If the 128 GB SSDs were around $200 (or the 64 GB more like $80-100), I'd be all for getting one. It's just at $350-375 for a good quality 128 GB SSD, I can't justify that expensive to anyone that doesn't have something better to spend the money on. Another reason I can't justify it is that is something that is very easy to add later. I'd rather spend the $350ish on the GPU, CPU, board or PSU first since these are harder to replace later. Why forgo something that is impractical to upgrade later and won't see the price decrease rapidly for something that will be easy to upgrade and will drastically fall in price?
m
l
!