Need help with T:Deadly Shadows

I recently acquired this game (have had THIEFG and THIEF2 for years).

I'm in the Hammer Factory and I need to stamp a hammer. I've found a
blank hammer figure (it shows up in the Gear screen (Items Sub screen)
but I can't figure out how to use it. There are also two keys and a
velvet bag on this screen. None of the "highlight" when the mouse cursor
move over them.

The so-called manual says to select items using F1 - F6 keys, and cycle
through them using the left and/or right bracket keys. Trying to do
these accomplished nothing.

What am I missing? Do I need to be in position to use these items
before they are accessible. Help.

Bob

Bob Fairbank wrote:

> I recently acquired this game (have had THIEFG and THIEF2 for years).
>
> I'm in the Hammer Factory and I need to stamp a hammer. I've found a
> blank hammer figure (it shows up in the Gear screen (Items Sub screen)
> but I can't figure out how to use it. There are also two keys and a
> velvet bag on this screen. None of the "highlight" when the mouse cursor
> move over them.

I was tricked by this at first as well and had to ask here: All
"non-standard" items work differently in T:DS than they did in the
previous games. They are just added to the inventory where you can look
at them but don't use. If you find an object that is associated with
such an item, just use the object. If you don't possess the required
item, the object won't do anything.

It's the same with keys. If you found a key you just have to use the
door where the key fits the keyhole. No need to select the key.

As for stamping the hammer: Just look for the forge (beware, it's not
what you might expect, it has more to do with electricity) and use it,
and you will receive the stamped hammer.

Cheerio
Kai

Sorry to be late responding, but I've finally installed XP and have been
setting up a duel boot system.
Thanks for the info. Everything is working OK. Although I still think Thief 1
& 2 were more "logical"
in that you could call up your inventory and select what you wanted to use.

So far T:DS is interesting, but for some reason or other, I feel like I'm
"looking" at it as opposed to being "in it."

Again, Thanks.

Bob