ATI 5970 vs GTX 480: Which really is the fastest video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

magnumfinger

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
Yesterday (March 26, 2010) , Nvidia's 2 prime-ace cards, gtx 470 & gtx 480, has finally been unveiled. I receive an email from PC world that its said to be the 'currently fastest GPU card on the market' but as when I read the article, they only compare the gtx 480 with the ati 5870 --- Which is quite absurd when we all know that currently, ATI 5970 holds the fastest video card title on the market.

I would like to ask if Tom's hardware will make a (match-up between the two cards (ATI 5970: GTX 480) And if yes, when will it be finished (nearest date?)

Thank You for all the response

Update Link: ATI 5970 is still the king of all video cards

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
There already is, on the main page there is the Tom's article on the two new cards. PCWorld (yeah I read it too) mentions it's the fastest on the single-gpu realm, I thought that was a joke since a dual gpu 480 is gonna cost like $400 more than a 5970 and still beat it by at most 10%.

mteeple

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
The 5970 is going to be the fastest almost everytime just because it's got more oomph to it ... more cores, more shading, more gigs... But then again look at the price difference... 200 dollars, and bluescreen... just saying but the Gtx 480 on some reviews actually beats the 5970 in tests... probably because of the 2 cards in the 5970

AMW1011

Distinguished
The 5970 is easily the faster card.

Also they were refering to the GTX 480 being the fastest single GPU card, which it is, while the 5970 is the fastest single card, or dual GPUs (meaning it is 2 cards in one).

they should say it as fastest single slot card. maybe it will be more clear like that. btw which is faster if the game does not support SLI or crossfire?

AMW1011

Distinguished

Normally I agree but since the 5970 is a dual card that heavily outperforms, requires less power, produces less heat, and is quieter than the GTX 480, its a fair comparison.

But fine, the 5870 Toxic edition will be cheaper and will outperform the GTX 480 pretty well with its 2GB of VRAM and core at 925MHz.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008

That's going to be 5670 vs 9800GT.

Can you name any modern game that does not support SLI/CF?

notty22

Distinguished
Nvidia holds the title of the fastest GPU in the world. May be semantics, but I will add to to it even more. Over at Google finance the company description for Nvidia http://www.google.com/finance?client=news&q=nvidia credits them with inventing the GPU. I guess Ati has to be happy with calling their products video cards. lol :)

Description
NVIDIA Corporation (NVIDIA) is a provider of visual computing technologies and the inventor of the graphics processing unit (GPU). The Company’s products are designed to generate graphics on workstations, personal computers, game consoles and mobile devices. NVIDIA serves the entertainment and consumer market with its GeForce graphics products, the professional design and visualization market with its Quadro graphics products, the computing market with its Tesla computing solutions products, and the mobile computing market with its Tegra system-on-a-chip products. NVIDIA operates in four major product-line operating segments: the GPU business, the professional solutions business (PSB), the media and communications processor (MCP), business, and the consumer products business (CPB). The Company’s GPU business is comprised primarily of its GeForce products that support desktop and notebook personal computers. Its PSB is comprised of its NVIDIA Quadro professional workstation products.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
480 GTX is the fastest single GPU card on Earth, while 5970 is the fastest Dual GPU/Single Slot PCI Card on Earth.

Dual 480s have been known to be the strongest setup out now, but it comes at high cost and high heat.

I would say the best money is 5970. Then again I'm going by CAD prices. dual 5850s cost about as much as 1 5970 here, so ur better off saving some room.

jibbermitch

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Did they inevent it or buy the rights to it!!?? :D
lol thats funny.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008

Didn't nVidia also invent physics, computing, transcoding, and the internet?

DuckyCrayfish

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
well its really stupid to be comparing the 5970 and the 480, because they havent came out with the dual gpu card for the 400 series! i mean think of comparing the best of the 4000 series, against the single gpu 285! thats not how it works.... you compare SINGLE gpu cards, otherwise there will be an unfair advantage! of course the ati 5970 will be faster, and no one said otherwise.

try this thread again when nvidia comes out with their dual gpu card.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010

Why would you yank a thread that hasn't had activity in five days to the top of the pile only to repeat what half the people in the thread have already pointed out?

sam80jr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
"Maybe because it's a single card. Why do you care if it has single or dual gpu?

Lots of people only have one pci-e expansion slot by the way.
Message quoted 1 times"

your response doesnt even make sense. his point is that you cant compare a single core card to a dual core card. obv the card with 2 processors on it is going to be faster. the only fair comparison would be to wait for the dual core version of the 480 to come out. Comparing a dual core 480 to the dual core 5970 is the only valid comparison, and im sure the 480 would outperform it. learn a little bit about computers before you post please

sam80jr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
"No, see some people have this wrong! the 5970 is a dual GPU SINGLE SLOT card. It has two gpu chips within that single PCI-E x16 2.0 slot! The 5970 is still the fastest SINGLE SLOT CARD! The thing is Nvidea can't seem to find much other than that they can classify it by saying its the fastest single gpu card. Yet i can say the ATi 4770 is the FASTEST GPU ON THE MARKET. (Which we all know it isn't) Yet in small print id just reference the fact that it is the fastest 512MB card. Overall the 5970 RAPES! There is no need to worry about what happening there!

Now as for the GTX 480 Co-op, we have one hell of a joke. As mister g said "dual gpu 480 is gonna cost like $400 more than a 5970 and still beat it by at most 10%." It'll probably be like 550$ more (like the 295 coop) but barely output performance!

Unfortunately Nvidea has had some serious problems with dual chip single slot cards! In fact it wasn't until after the 9800 GX2 until they started to fall drastically. to be honest ever since then the dual chip single slot gpu cards from Nvidea have been MAJOR ***! "

actually ur dead wrong...typical ati fanboy who doesn't know anything. saying its the fastest single gpu card isnt hiding details in the fine print. there are 2 types of cards- single core and dual core. Out of all single core cards, it is the fastest. the 5970 is just a single card with 2 5870 gpus thats why it is faster. when there is a card with 2 gtx 480 gpus, then u can compare the dual core cards. so you're wrong there. and to say nvidia failed with their dual core cards? the gtx 295 is still top 5 cards out there and outperforms almost every other card on the market. there have been no issues with it whatsoever . i have been using it for over a year and it dominates any new game at the highest settings. you have never used an nvidia card and you have no information to back up your opinion so just stop. there is no where on the internet where it says the 295 was a failure and that there are problems with nvidias dual core cards. you, my friend, are ignorant and arrogant...a deadly combo

G

I have only used my laptop for the last 4 years and now when it is time to build a gaming computer I don't care if it is NVidia or ATi.
What I do care about is:
1. Performence/euro.
2. How mutch power it consume, because less power is less noise and with todays power cost it also save money there to.

How they solve that I DON'T CARE ABOUT.
If they use one or two cores on a singel card isn't relevant.
Just deliver performence for small money to by and also small money to use...

Status
Not open for further replies.