Sign in with
Your question

CPU temp reading 99 degrees celsius

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 29, 2010 11:38:25 AM

I need major help! Firstly, I don't know a thing about my hardware, all what I know is that when I reboot my computer after it crashes and the CPU temp reads '99 degrees Celsius' that something is wrong!

Usually my computer will crash when its running programmes which have a high demand (Adobe Photoshop when dealing with large files, Sims 3, etc...).

Here are my specs BTW:

Machine name: USER-PC
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.100218-0019)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: BIOSTAR Group
System Model: NF520-A2 SE
BIOS: )Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ (2 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 3070MB RAM
Page File: 1135MB used, 5230MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

My CPU fan currently runs at 2500 rpm and which at times of high demand can run at 2800 rpm, which isn't bad, right?

I have browsed quite alot of forums to find some advice but I've received none which help my problem. I've vaporized every sign of dust in my computer, making sure that isn't the problem due to my over heating but alas no solution. For my CPU temp to read 99 degrees Celsius though I'm guessing that the temperature reading is correct since my CPU is still alive?

Anyway :(  could somebody please help me here?

More about : cpu temp reading degrees celsius

a b à CPUs
June 29, 2010 11:49:13 AM

99'C reading from what? BIOS? HW Monitor?

Try reseat the CPU from it's heatsink and re-apply the thermal paste...
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 29, 2010 12:19:49 PM

the BIOS and I'll give that ago (I need to buy some paste!)
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2010 4:09:40 AM

Yes, re-apply that paste and make sure the heat sink is properly attached, after that report again the result... :) 
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2010 2:50:35 PM

nada! :(  Re-applied the paste and the heat sink was tightly closed down so I tried running a high-demand game again and it crashed soon after.
July 1, 2010 6:59:35 PM

According to CPU-Upgrade: http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Biostar/NF520-A2_SE_6.0.h...

The highest max rated watt CPU that is compatible with your mobo is the Phenom X4, with a 95 TDP.

But your current Athlon 64X2 6000+ is rated at max 125W, and since you said you run high demand applications, this could possibly be the reason why your cpu is hot.
a c 83 à CPUs
July 1, 2010 9:41:38 PM

To those who don't know, AMD did release an 89W version of the Athlon X2 6000+. So I'm not sure that is his problem.

This is a stupid question, but your positive the fan on the heatsink is still spinning right? It's possible software is showing that it's running, but in actuality it isn't. Does your heat sink feel hot?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2010 3:53:20 PM

@iCraig: I had my computer built by a company :( 

@loneninja: I checked that my heatstink's fan runs... and yes, when I took my heatstink out to apply the temp gel it did feel slightly hot (but not 100 degrees celsius hot!)

@darkslash I used to be able to run high-demand applications without it crashing ?
a b à CPUs
July 5, 2010 4:05:30 PM

From experience its probably likely that your motherboard doesn't fully support the CPU, thus either giving false readings of temperature or overvolting the CPU maybe.

Try finding an up to date BIOS. Also how long has it been doing this?
July 5, 2010 6:28:55 PM

Thats weird, if he got a company to build it. They should of at least made sure it runs decently or that the mobo at least supports that cpu.

But, like icraig said, maybe try looking for a bios update for your mobo.
April 19, 2011 5:29:52 AM

I know this was about a year ago, but i have the same motherboard and have been battling this problem, with 90 degree Celsius during gaming even with external fans blowing on it. I also have a CPU that is newer then the board, in the 6000 series that is not covered by the biostar board and I'm pretty sure i've found the problem. The boards lowest voltage rating is 4.5 and can go up to about 4.75, however my and i imagine your cpu runs much lower (mine is between 3.5 and 4). None of the bio updates let you turn the voltage down, however you can crank it up. So unless i can find some third party software to turn down CPU voltage, you're boned.
!