Turning on a motherboard without a processor

yuriythebest

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2008
Right, since I'll be soldering on some new capacitors on my MB, I want to eschew any damage to my processor in case something goes wrong, so is it cosher to just connect a MB to a PSU and nothing else? (no proc/memory/etc) and turn it on? Or will it burst into flames or something?

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
If you did solder it well then no it just won't POST.

Soldering capacitors (or anything) to a mobo is a BAD idea... really really BAD idea, just get a new mobo if your current one fried, not worth the hassle and risk.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Capacitor replacement isn't a good idea for the average person. While it is possible and we do it in some situations, it requires experience and know-how to successfully accomplish. And turning on a motherboard with no CPU will usually just result in the board powering itself back off within a few seconds, or it will just sit there and do nothing. It really doesn't prove anything as far as your capacitor repair goes.

yuriythebest

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2008
Um thanks but why is it such a bad idea? Previously I've replaced capacitors on an LCD display and that went pretty well- are MB's different somehow/is there more risk?

Three things are required to POST a motherboard;
1) CPU
2) RAM
3) Power

Without any one of those, the BIOS will not POST. Of course, if you want to see it POST, video (either onboard or gpu) is also required.

The only way to determine if you solder job worked is to solder the caps in and then plug everything is and then turn it on...

grasshopper1970

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Hi guys. Same problem. Replaced a leaking capacitor on a AS ROCK mobo. I managed to get a 3300 mF, but with higher voltage. Original was 6.3v, while the new one is 16v. After replacement, the pc booted as far as the XP logo only to switch off again. Now, it starts up for about 5 seconds only to switch off again. Any ideas, or has the Mobo been bricked? (BTW, capacitor polarity upon replacement was respected)