Solved

4 pin molex to 8 pin 12v

Hello I am new to Tomshardware (or at least with an account anyway) but I was just wondering if i could use a molex connector or two and combine them together with something like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812887002
I would be using this to play games on a higher video card which requires 8 pin connectors... I was thinking about getting maybe a Fermi product or some other high end video card soon, so I was just wondering if this type of connection would be reliable and supply the correct amount needed...
BTW i have an 850W Rosewill power supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182070&cm_re=rosewill_850w-_-17-182-070-_-Product
It has 4 6 pins, no 8 pins (So a 6 pin converter could work as well if theres such a thing, I'm only looking to use one video card)
Hmm... and extra info i guess for ideas on power consumption:
Running 4 gbs Patriot 1333 Mhz
Phenom II x4 965
Radeon 4890
2 HDs, 320gb and 500gb 7200 rpm
and a cd/dvd rom
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about molex
  1. Best answer
    Welcome to the forum. The adapter you linked to will work no problems so does your PSU.
  2. Well that's a relief i was just wondering because i know that the gtx 480 is supposed to be a power destroyer... And also just another little question it says on some reviews that the amperage is sitting about 40 amps for gtx 480... do i have enough right now? Also in reading the review i saw that it said preferably not converted from molex to 8 pin (is molex to 8 pin not wise/safe sometimes?)
  3. I am presuming that is total 12volt draw from the system which would be 480watts. Your psu has 4 rails of 20 amp each but I can not see what the total is, it is at least between 50 and 60 amps. If you have concerns about your PSU (many people have about Rosewill) I would suggest replacing it with a Corsair of the appropriate size with a single large +12volt rail
  4. Best answer selected by mteeple.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product