HP Compaq nx9105 OR Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D7890

I am in the market for my first laptop. I have brought it down to the 2
mentioned. Can anyone offer advice on these manufacturers, please, with
regards build quality, reliability etc etc.

More about compaq nx9105 fujitsu siemens amilo d7890

    Atlantica wrote:
    > I am in the market for my first laptop. I have brought it down to
    > the 2 mentioned. Can anyone offer advice on these manufacturers,
    > please, with regards build quality, reliability etc etc.

    Fujitsu builds their computers well, but other than repair or replacement,
    don't expect much after-purchase support from them. I've rarely seen any
    driver updates from them after the fact, which is a hassle if you want to
    upgrade your OS. BIOS updates should also be provided on occasion, but I
    have *never* seen them. In fact, on one machine that got its BIOS
    overwritten, I tried contacting Fujitsu support TWICE for an original image
    to rewrite it, and they never even responded. On top of that, they like to
    write limitations into the BIOS to prevent upgrading the machine very much,
    especially the CPU.

    HP/Compaq, on the other hand, provide excellent after purchase support. You
    can easily find updates on their web site, even for VERY old machines.
    Also, because their machines are much more prevalent, it's easier to find
    accessories and parts.

    Some people may argue that Fujitsu "gets it right the first time" and
    therefore doesn't HAVE to "fix" things with updates. That may be the case,
    but I like to believe that there's always something that can be tuned better
    and the fact that a manufacturer cares enough to still work with a machine
    after it's been released shows that they are not just moving on to the next
    better thing.

    Thanks. I am taking your advice and opting for the HP.

    "TV Slug" <yourshoesTV_slugandsocks@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Atlantica wrote:
    >> I am in the market for my first laptop. I have brought it down to
    >> the 2 mentioned. Can anyone offer advice on these manufacturers,
    >> please, with regards build quality, reliability etc etc.

    > Fujitsu builds their computers well, but other than repair or replacement,
    > don't expect much after-purchase support from them. I've rarely seen any
    > driver updates from them after the fact, which is a hassle if you want to
    > upgrade your OS. BIOS updates should also be provided on occasion, but I
    > have *never* seen them. In fact, on one machine that got its BIOS
    > overwritten, I tried contacting Fujitsu support TWICE for an original
    > image
    > to rewrite it, and they never even responded. On top of that, they like
    > write limitations into the BIOS to prevent upgrading the machine very
    > much,
    > especially the CPU.
    >
    > HP/Compaq, on the other hand, provide excellent after purchase support.
    > You
    > can easily find updates on their web site, even for VERY old machines.
    > Also, because their machines are much more prevalent, it's easier to find
    > accessories and parts.
    >
    > Some people may argue that Fujitsu "gets it right the first time" and
    > therefore doesn't HAVE to "fix" things with updates. That may be the
    > case,
    > but I like to believe that there's always something that can be tuned
    > better
    > and the fact that a manufacturer cares enough to still work with a machine
    > after it's been released shows that they are not just moving on to the
    > next
    > better thing.

Laptops Hewlett Packard Fujitsu Siemens Compaq