So do they die or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbseven

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Been reading article after article on tomshardware trying to find an answer about SSDs.

Back when SSD's came out, one major turnoff was that they had a limited lifespan ie a limited amount of data that could be written to it before it died.

Does this still apply? If so how long can i expect one to last? Does this have something to do with the IOPS i see advertised on ssd products on newegg?

Solution
IOPS is input/output operations per second, it just a way of measuring how much stuff an ssd can do in a second, doesnt effect life. I'd say now a days ssds have become reliable to the point where you'll probably replace it several years down the road for a faster drive before it dies on you.

Yes, SSDs have a limited amount of time they can be written to. But if you're buying a SSD in 2012 that's not something you should worry about. Your SSD will most likely die for other reasons long before you run out of Write cycles.

No, drive longevity has nothing to do with IOPS.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
IOPS is input/output operations per second, it just a way of measuring how much stuff an ssd can do in a second, doesnt effect life. I'd say now a days ssds have become reliable to the point where you'll probably replace it several years down the road for a faster drive before it dies on you.

Solution

jbseven

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011

Thats not very comforting. I thought the firmware issues were resolved? What other issues should i be worried about?

I'd say now a days ssds have become reliable to the point where you'll probably replace it several years down the road for a faster drive before it dies on you.

Thats very useful. Considering that I think its worth going for an SSD.

Although with all the bad reviews out there I'm terrified I'll get a disk that's DOA or that needs to be rma'd. Who's the current best in terms of reliability? I'm leaning towards the samsung 830 or the intel 120gb hdds.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Intel has usually topped the charts in term of reliability and in most cases performance as well. They tend to be the more expensive drives on the market because of that. I've generally heard nothing but good things about Crucial M4s as well, plus they come with a 3 year warranty according to newegg.

Status
Not open for further replies.