Sign in with
Your question

What is the best graphics card I can upgrade to? (laptop)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 28, 2010 2:56:29 AM

I have a dell inspiron 1720 17" laptop. I'll give you the specs you tell me what is the best video card I can upgrade to. I'd choose myself but I don't have a clue about laptop components. Please let me know if there is any information I should have included that I left out.

a c 1363 U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
March 28, 2010 3:04:24 AM

If you can buy one from Dell they are the correct people to answer the question. Pretty much the rule of thumb is if you are going to upgrade laptop GPU you buy a new laptop.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 28, 2010 3:05:31 AM

If you can get an OEM version of any laptop video card on a regular store, we could give you an advice, but I think is not possible for regular people :p 

Might want to give Dell a call :p 

Cheers!
m
l
Related resources
March 28, 2010 3:10:48 AM

Well was looking through dell and found the upgrade card they recommend just thought there might be a better. And I'm no "regular people" trying to do an upgrade. I just don't know anything about laptop comments.
m
l
March 28, 2010 3:11:26 AM

Mmm for a newer video card your most likely just going to have to go with a new Laptop, as I'm pretty sure upgrading to a different video card will be very limited to say the least since it will have to be basically the same excat size as the previous card, otherwise you'll end up with cooling issues... So as Rolli said before it would probably be best just to call Dell up and ask if anything can be done
m
l
a c 1363 U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
March 28, 2010 3:16:46 AM

Here are the rules for laptop GPU
It has to have been available for that series laptop.
It has to be made for that series laptop. (motherboard designs are different between series and manufacturers so are enclosures)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 28, 2010 3:18:05 AM

woodyhd said:
Well was looking through dell and found the upgrade card they recommend just thought there might be a better. And I'm no "regular people" trying to do an upgrade. I just don't know anything about laptop comments.

Let me re-phrase that:

We can't give you any advice with an specific video card, because we can't get a laptop video card on regular stores. Those are meant for Vendor only, not regular folks (like you and me), so the vendor itself might give you an option for upgrade.

Cheers!
m
l
March 28, 2010 3:23:45 AM

ok well thanks for the help. I'm selling this thing for desktop anyways was just cleaning it out and figured I might what kind of upgrade was possible.
m
l
!