Sign in with
Your question
Solved

AGP

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 28, 2010 3:01:23 AM

Hello,

I'm going to be getting a "newer" computer soon which I bought for $30 and I was just wondering what video card I should get? It has a 2.4GHz P4 in it and it's got an AGP slot. I haven't really done too much research into the motherboard or anything because I was just going to use it for a seed box but now I'm probably going to actually use it for a little while until I can get my big upgrade here this summer.

But anyway, I've searched around on toms a bit and I've found a review stating that the X1950 Pro is the most powerful AGP card that you can get but I have a friend of mine that told me that I should get this..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Do you guys agree with him? If I do get this card then I'm going to be using it play MW2 and L4D and other games that I think have around the specs for those 2 games. Do you think this card could handle those?

And the computer has an ASUS mobo, either a P4B or a P4PE2-X but I'm pretty sure it's the P4PE2-X, which I just noticed is actually a 4X slot and I believe that the card above is an 8X, or are those interchangable but the bandwidth would get capped off? And if they aren't, what is the best AGP 4x card I can get? This is only a temporary upgrade but if you guys think it wouldn't be worth it to spend $50+ on a graphics card then I will just hold off until I get my i7 rig.

Anyway, what do ya think?

Thanks,
Jer

More about : agp

Best solution

a c 1362 U Graphics card
March 28, 2010 3:09:53 AM

The card you linked to is as good as the X1950pro. It is not the GPU that is going to be the issue with newer games but your P4 CPU. Based on that I think it would be best for you to save your money until the I7 system.
March 28, 2010 3:16:03 AM

Well I'm not too sure about the 4x or 8x part of the question, but basically if you're hoping to play MW2 and L4D with a single core p4 @ 2.4 and an AGP card you'll be looking at playing the games on low settings...otherwise you'll run into stuttering gameplay (badly), So if you're hoping to play games that are new gen, I would advise personally just getting a cheap dual core and a mobo with a pcie slot in it and like 2 gbs of ram included (This is of course my opinion)... But anyway yes the x1950 is pretty good and will have about the same power as the 4650 on the link, although they are of different radeon lines, so some things may vary... and in my opinion you should just hold off the games (if you dont have a spare game computer) and keep that 50 dollars for the I7 computer and get yourself a better GPU along with the I7, which will be more expensive of course, but it would also complement the processor's own power (As in dont overload on processor and have no graphic power for the games).. just my 2 cents on it
m
l
Related resources
March 28, 2010 3:18:53 AM

Ah alright, I see. Guess I should of looked up the specs for MW2 first lol. Thought the CPU requirement was quite different than that.

Well, thanks, maybe if I can find a CPU for cheap somewhere, if the mobo can support it I might look into that but I will take your advice and just hold off, I only have a couple of months until I can get that tracking number! lol
m
l
March 28, 2010 3:20:27 AM

mteeple said:
Well I'm not too sure about the 4x or 8x part of the question, but basically if you're hoping to play MW2 and L4D with a single core p4 @ 2.4 and an AGP card you'll be looking at playing the games on low settings...otherwise you'll run into stuttering gameplay (badly), So if you're hoping to play games that are new gen, I would advise personally just getting a cheap dual core and a mobo with a pcie slot in it and like 2 gbs of ram included (This is of course my opinion)... But anyway yes the x1950 is pretty good and will have about the same power as the 4650 on the link, although they are of different radeon lines, so some things may vary...

Ya that's what I was originally gonna do but I decided to go all out on a PC.
m
l
March 28, 2010 3:20:47 AM

Best answer selected by Asdf Jer.
m
l
a c 1362 U Graphics card
March 28, 2010 3:21:52 AM

Asdf Jer said:
Ah alright, I see. Guess I should of looked up the specs for MW2 first lol. Thought the CPU requirement was quite different than that.

Well, thanks, maybe if I can find a CPU for cheap somewhere, if the mobo can support it I might look into that but I will take your advice and just hold off, I only have a couple of months until I can get that tracking number! lol

Couple of months zoom by.
m
l
!