Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Surge Suppressors. Are they recommended?

Last response: in Components
June 29, 2010 3:21:38 PM

Are they recommended/necessary to use?

Which one do you recommend? (110v)

I've heard a lot of this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PS. My PSU is the Corsair TX650.

Best solution

June 29, 2010 5:39:13 PM

They are definitely recommended, since if they are not used, a power surge can fry your computer. The PSU says it has protection from these things, but since that is not its primary function, I would not trust it too far, especially if you have a more expensive system.

That looks nice to me. I prefer to use something with battery backup as well, because in case of a power outage, I want to be able to shut down my computers properly, but it's your call.
June 30, 2010 6:09:54 AM

I had one of those (different make) and it caught fire, I don't know if it was saving a surge in the process but was worrying as it kept burning after the fuse tripped.
m
l
Related resources
June 30, 2010 8:27:44 AM

I bought APC P74, it is suitable for you also.

Link
m
l
June 30, 2010 9:11:24 AM

If you experience frequent voltage fluctuations and power cuts then using a surge buster along with a back UPS is definitely recommended.. Mark the words frequent as todays PSU's are very much capable to handle occasional outings.. Getting a good surge protector is necessary as lower quality ones might render completely useless from one hazard and will require frequent replacements.. Then there is all that fire hazard mentioned above.. I too would recommend belkin.. I've the one (gold series) with 6 three pin outlets along with protection for phone, modem and tv too (cables came bundled).. Its specs and quality are very high and will give you all peace of mind.. I've paired it up with an APC back UPS RS-1000 and both seem to work nicely in tandem..
m
l
July 8, 2010 1:23:59 AM

Best answer selected by SeF.
m
l
!