Sign in with
Your question

Can my motherboard fit a dual-width video card?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 3, 2011 3:23:26 AM

I was looking at buying a new video card (probably a GTX 570) and I noticed some of them have a requirement saying "dual-width PCI Express slot", but I don't know if my motherboard would work or has enough room. I have an Asrock K10N78:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=K10N78

My current video card is a HIS Radeon 4850 http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-385.shtml

When I look inside my case it doesn't appear that the new card would be blocked by anything, but I don't know for sure. Can anyone help me please?
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2011 10:43:01 AM

It's fine.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2011 3:03:45 PM

The Asrock K10N78 is NOT a 'real' SLI MOBO. You can use any PCIe GPU, but a GTX 570 is 100% guaranteed to bottleneck with the NVIDIA GeForce 8200 Chipset. I would either get a new MOBO, maybe CPU if it's NOT a Phenom II, or go with a GT 430 or at max the GTX 460 {even the GTX 460 will be bottlenecked}.

If you prefer, as I do, the nVidia GPUs -> ASUS M4N82 Deluxe or M4N98TD EVO MOBOs.

Bottlenecking example:
m
l
Related resources
January 3, 2011 6:22:26 PM

Thanks for the replies

Quote:
should be fine; have your verified or cross-referenced the physical dimensions, the info is found on the respective web-sites.?

Yeah actually after posting this thread I realized both my current card and the GTX 570 are 4 cm thick, and there's a little over 12 inches in my case before a card would hit anything so I think it would fit without a problem.

jaquith said:
The Asrock K10N78 is NOT a 'real' SLI MOBO. You can use any PCIe GPU, but a GTX 570 is 100% guaranteed to bottleneck with the NVIDIA GeForce 8200 Chipset. I would either get a new MOBO, maybe CPU if it's NOT a Phenom II, or go with a GT 430 or at max the GTX 460 {even the GTX 460 will be bottlenecked}.

My CPU is a Phenom II X4 955. I know the motherboard isn't SLI, but how does that affect the performance if the GTX 570 only plugs into one slot?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2011 6:37:56 PM

randir14 said:
Thanks for the replies

Yeah actually after posting this thread I realized both my current card and the GTX 570 are 4 cm thick, and there's a little over 12 inches in my case before a card would hit anything so I think it would fit without a problem.

My CPU is a Phenom II X4 955. I know the motherboard isn't SLI, but how does that affect the performance if the GTX 570 only plugs into one slot?

It doesnt
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2011 6:52:46 PM

randir14 said:

The Chipset will hugely inhibit the CPU <=Chipset=> GPU <=Chipset=> RAM; the individual components are not the problem. Also, the onboard GPU steals: PCIe bandwidth, Physical RAM, etc from your overall system performance. It will run - it just will perform horribly in comparison to the current AMD 'FX' Chipsets. Your components are OVERKILL to the MOBO; mis-matched.

I would only use either the 890FX {CF} or nForce 980a {SLI} chipset MOBO with the GTX 570.

Here's a good video to explain bottlenecking - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGdo75gasaQ

m
l
!