MPX 220 - Cingular waiting for new Firmware?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
March 24, 2005 1:01:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,microsoft.public.smartphone (More info?)

I tried to get a new MPx 220 from my Cingular dealer and they said that
they've discontinued the unit until there is an updated Firmware...

Any news on this?

Thanks,
Scott<-
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 11:43:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,microsoft.public.smartphone (More info?)

I have not heard that but now I am praying, sacrificing live chickens,
burning incense and whatever else might help to get Windows Media Player 10
in the new firmware.

--
John A. Wolf
jawlaw@hotmail.com

"Scooter" <scott@serra.com> wrote in message
>I tried to get a new MPx 220 from my Cingular dealer and they said that
> they've discontinued the unit until there is an updated Firmware...
>
> Any news on this?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott<-

March 24, 2005 5:17:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,microsoft.public.smartphone (More info?)

Looks like Moto pulled the flash update v 1.3 that has been available for
awhile.
http://www.motorola.com/mdirect/hellomoto/experience/mp...

--
Dana

"Scooter" <scott@serra.com> wrote in message
>I tried to get a new MPx 220 from my Cingular dealer and they said that
> they've discontinued the unit until there is an updated Firmware...
>
> Any news on this?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott<-

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 5:17:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,microsoft.public.smartphone (More info?)

Interesting. I am using 1.3 and I have no problems with the phone aside
from Windows Media Player 9 v. 10. That and I can't voice dial with my
Bluetooth headset.

--
John A. Wolf
jawlaw@hotmail.com

"Dana" <delouis@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Looks like Moto pulled the flash update v 1.3 that has been available for
> awhile.
> http://www.motorola.com/mdirect/hellomoto/experience/mp...
>
> --
> Dana
>
> "Scooter" <scott@serra.com> wrote in message
>>I tried to get a new MPx 220 from my Cingular dealer and they said that
>> they've discontinued the unit until there is an updated Firmware...
>>
>> Any news on this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Scott<-

Anonymous
March 24, 2005 8:19:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,microsoft.public.smartphone (More info?)

"Scooter" <scott@serra.com> wrote in message
> I tried to get a new MPx 220 from my Cingular dealer and they said that
> they've discontinued the unit until there is an updated Firmware...
>
> Any news on this?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott<-

According to a document I received yesterday and dated 3/17/05, the MPX220
had an issue with low audio and email icon troubles. The new software was in
phones shipped after 11/24/04 and were available from XBM on 12/1/04. V180,
V220 and V551 issues are still present and should all be resolved by
4/11/05. One issue of note, is the V551 short battery life problem (less
than 2 days) Phones with this fix, and the fix for the timing reset that
causes dropped calls at regular intervals are due at XBM by 4/4/05.

Mark
March 24, 2005 10:11:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,microsoft.public.smartphone (More info?)

I can get my BellSouth email thru the Mpx 220. I've noticed that the phone
will not log on about every other day. I've found that if I power off the
phone, and turn it back on, I am then able to get my email. Same
problem/solution with logging on to the internet.
I guess that the recommendation for all of these types of phones is to power
off/on the phone at least once a day, so I'm not sure if specific to this
phone.
I've been really happy with it so far. I wish the camera was a little
better though. I was hoping a software fix might improve it a little.
--
Dana

"John A. Wolf" <jawlaw@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Interesting. I am using 1.3 and I have no problems with the phone aside
> from Windows Media Player 9 v. 10. That and I can't voice dial with my
> Bluetooth headset.
>
> --
> John A. Wolf
> jawlaw@hotmail.com
>
> "Dana" <delouis@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> Looks like Moto pulled the flash update v 1.3 that has been available for
>> awhile.
>> http://www.motorola.com/mdirect/hellomoto/experience/mp...
>>
>> --
>> Dana
>>
>> "Scooter" <scott@serra.com> wrote in message
>>>I tried to get a new MPx 220 from my Cingular dealer and they said that
>>> they've discontinued the unit until there is an updated Firmware...
>>>
>>> Any news on this?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Scott<-

Anonymous
March 24, 2005 11:00:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,microsoft.public.smartphone (More info?)

As I understand it, most (if not all) phones using GMS should be turned off
for a few hours each day to sync with the system & download updates.

I can get my BellSouth email thru the Mpx 220. I've noticed that the phone
will not log on about every other day. I've found that if I power off the
phone, and turn it back on, I am then able to get my email. Same
problem/solution with logging on to the internet.
I guess that the recommendation for all of these types of phones is to power
off/on the phone at least once a day, so I'm not sure if specific to this
phone.
I've been really happy with it so far. I wish the camera was a little
better though. I was hoping a software fix might improve it a little.
--
Dana

"John A. Wolf" <jawlaw@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Interesting. I am using 1.3 and I have no problems with the phone aside
> from Windows Media Player 9 v. 10. That and I can't voice dial with my
> Bluetooth headset.
>
> --
> John A. Wolf
> jawlaw@hotmail.com
>
> "Dana" <delouis@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> Looks like Moto pulled the flash update v 1.3 that has been available for
>> awhile.

http://www.motorola.com/mdirect/hellomoto/experience/mp...

>> --
>> Dana
>>
>> "Scooter" <scott@serra.com> wrote in message
>>>I tried to get a new MPx 220 from my Cingular dealer and they said that
>>> they've discontinued the unit until there is an updated Firmware...
>>>
>>> Any news on this?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Scott<-

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 12:55:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,microsoft.public.smartphone (More info?)

do you mean GSM phones? I never heard of powering a GSM phone off for
updates. I only power mine off when it dies on me.
"Glen Scheer" <glenscheer@charter.net> wrote in message
> As I understand it, most (if not all) phones using GMS should be turned
> off
> for a few hours each day to sync with the system & download updates.
>

> "Dana" <delouis@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I can get my BellSouth email thru the Mpx 220. I've noticed that the
> phone
> will not log on about every other day. I've found that if I power off the
> phone, and turn it back on, I am then able to get my email. Same
> problem/solution with logging on to the internet.
> I guess that the recommendation for all of these types of phones is to
> power
> off/on the phone at least once a day, so I'm not sure if specific to this
> phone.
> I've been really happy with it so far. I wish the camera was a little
> better though. I was hoping a software fix might improve it a little.
> --
> Dana
>

> "John A. Wolf" <jawlaw@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Interesting. I am using 1.3 and I have no problems with the phone aside
>> from Windows Media Player 9 v. 10. That and I can't voice dial with my
>> Bluetooth headset.
>>
>> --
>> John A. Wolf
>> jawlaw@hotmail.com
>>
>> "Dana" <delouis@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>> Looks like Moto pulled the flash update v 1.3 that has been available
>>> for
>>> awhile.
>>>
> http://www.motorola.com/mdirect/hellomoto/experience/mp...
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dana
>>>
>>> "Scooter" <scott@serra.com> wrote in message

March 25, 2005 11:13:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,microsoft.public.smartphone (More info?)

I was talking with a Cingular rep who seemed knowledgeable. (probably the
only one), and a side discussion was made where it was recommended that
these phones should be powered off each day for just "a moment" and then
turned back on. He gave a valid reason, but I don't remember. All the
phone needs to do is re-register itself with the network each day and it
should work "better". (whatever that means.)
For me, powering off each day for a second and back on makes the Internet &
Email work much better.
I was told that if I jumped on a plane and left the phone on, the phone
would probably work at my destination. However, it would be much better to
power the phone Off / On so the phone would re-register (or whatever the
term is)
One "issue" I have is that the phone's clock will not update off the
network. This is a nice feature while traveling.

--
Dana

"michael e dziatkowicz" <mnmma@comcast.net> wrote in message
> do you mean GSM phones? I never heard of powering a GSM phone off for
> updates. I only power mine off when it dies on me.
> "Glen Scheer" <glenscheer@charter.net> wrote in message
>> As I understand it, most (if not all) phones using GMS should be turned
>> off
>> for a few hours each day to sync with the system & download updates.
>>

>> "Dana" <delouis@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> I can get my BellSouth email thru the Mpx 220. I've noticed that the
>> phone
>> will not log on about every other day. I've found that if I power off
>> the
>> phone, and turn it back on, I am then able to get my email. Same
>> problem/solution with logging on to the internet.
>> I guess that the recommendation for all of these types of phones is to
>> power
>> off/on the phone at least once a day, so I'm not sure if specific to
>> this
>> phone.
>> I've been really happy with it so far. I wish the camera was a little
>> better though. I was hoping a software fix might improve it a little.
>> --
>> Dana
>>

>> "John A. Wolf" <jawlaw@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Interesting. I am using 1.3 and I have no problems with the phone aside
>>> from Windows Media Player 9 v. 10. That and I can't voice dial with my
>>> Bluetooth headset.
>>>
>>> --
>>> John A. Wolf
>>> jawlaw@hotmail.com
>>>
>>> "Dana" <delouis@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>>>
>> http://www.motorola.com/mdirect/hellomoto/experience/mp...

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 12:27:04 AM

Just visited my account page on cingularwireless.com and there's an ad
about returning certain phones... called and found out that the
MPX-220 does qualify to return. Diall 611 on your phone to find out
more. Mine new one will arrive next week.

Mine crashes while charging, crashes in my pocket, volume is low and
battery doesn't hold a charge well...
Good luck with yours.

Rob.

--
mpx-trouble
Anonymous

Dana Wrote:
> I was talking with a Cingular rep who seemed knowledgeable. (probably
> the
> only one), and a side discussion was made where it was recommended
> that
> these phones should be powered off each day for just "a moment" and
> then
> turned back on. He gave a valid reason, but I don't remember. All
> the
> phone needs to do is re-register itself with the network each day and
> it
> should work "better". (whatever that means.)
> For me, powering off each day for a second and back on makes the
> Internet &
> Email work much better.

For one, I'd like to say that your comment is quite childish dana.
Being a cingular rep i dont appreciate you saying that the rep that
gave you incorrect info is probably the only knowledgeable cingular
rep...because obviously this is not the case.

Phones don't DL updates when they are turned off...hah.

However, I do recommend to my customers that they power cycle their
phones atleast every few days...because the more complex the phones
continue to get...the more complex the software...they are basically
small computers....try running a Windows PC for 12 days without
rebooting it, and compare it to one that you just powered on...

Basically they get "clogged up" over time...and small/random glitches
can tend to take place. Generally turning the phone off and back on or
pulling the battery out for a short time will fix these small problems.

Also, this thread doesn't surprise me one bit. I made a post from
another reps screen name on the site before i registered about the
MPX220...our store has decided to not carry the phone, or special order
it for anyone because every single one of the phones that we have
received has had a different problem...some of them quite major (camera
will not work at all, phone will not boot past Moto screen, phone will
never log on to network at all). Moto really needs to step up on
creating some better firmware for this phone...because if they DID work
all the bugs out...this would be a GREAT phone.

oh, and Dana....theres plenty of knowledgeable reps/managers working
for cingular...it just appears you haven't found them yet. Good luck
with that. And with making assumptions.

--
FLyGTi
April 6, 2005 5:10:21 PM

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 19:34:03 -0500, FLyGTi
<FLyGTi.1n1kgy@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> graced us with:

>For one, I'd like to say that your comment is quite childish dana.
>Being a cingular rep i dont appreciate you saying that the rep that
>gave you incorrect info is probably the only knowledgeable cingular
>rep...because obviously this is not the case.

Gee, count me in the childish 'silent majority' of users who have
found this to be the case - especially when it comes to the MPX220 -
as I had to go through three storefronts and at least 4 phone reps
before I could find anyone who even remotely understood the phone. So
please tell us all; Is Cingular doing anything to prod MOTO into
producing new firmware? If so, what and when? And why are we finding
it out in newsgroups instead of directly through customer
communications channels?

>However, I do recommend to my customers that they power cycle their
>phones atleast every few days...because the more complex the phones
>continue to get...the more complex the software...they are basically
>small computers....try running a Windows PC for 12 days without
>rebooting it, and compare it to one that you just powered on...

Every few days? If I don't reset the phone at *LEAST* once a day, I
cannot connect to the Internet at all. I have spoken with many of my
contemporaries on other providers with 'smart' type phones with net
services, and they don't seem to have this issue. And for the record,
my XP desktop has been on for 28 days straight now, without issue.
And certainly without any trouble garnering a net connection.

>Basically they get "clogged up" over time...and small/random glitches
>can tend to take place. Generally turning the phone off and back on or
>pulling the battery out for a short time will fix these small problems.
>
>Also, this thread doesn't surprise me one bit. I made a post from
>another reps screen name on the site before i registered about the
>MPX220...our store has decided to not carry the phone, or special order
>it for anyone because every single one of the phones that we have
>received has had a different problem...some of them quite major (camera
>will not work at all, phone will not boot past Moto screen, phone will
>never log on to network at all). Moto really needs to step up on
>creating some better firmware for this phone...because if they DID work
>all the bugs out...this would be a GREAT phone.

Then why did Cingular rush to market with it? I have had 3 phones now
and even with FW 1.30 I still have volume and connectivity issues
(which Cingular reps I spoke to say 'isn't possible') and still cannot
get them resolved. Moto is ultimately *YOUR* customer, not mine so
CINGULAR should be acknowledging these issues putting the pressure on
MOTO to fix them for their customers. MOTO claims issues are with
provider firmware, Cingular says it's MOTO's fault. The circle jerk
goes on and on and we customers are left in the middle, and powerless.

I agree this could be a great phone, which is why I stay with it. But
now I read posts that say that Cingular is dropping the phone, so
where does that leave people like me who bought it?

>oh, and Dana....theres plenty of knowledgeable reps/managers working
>for cingular...it just appears you haven't found them yet. Good luck
>with that. And with making assumptions.

Well, wish me the same luck. I've been actively looking and after 7
tries through various channels I was at least able to convince a
supervisor to effect a replacement. But if they were all as
'knowledgeable as you claim, I wouldn't have had to escalate it to
that level to get some satisfaction. I don't think Dana was as far
off base as you allude to, and your very sarcastic response seems to
bear that out.

I'd be interested to see other users comment on this, from posts I've
seen in user group boards I think you'd be very surprised. And since
you seem to be dedicated to your organization, maybe you could pass
this info on to your higher ups so they will be aware of the growing
impatience amongst your customer base.

subdude
!