T2X release date announced!

Ok, taffers.

Here you have it: the T2X: Shadows of the Metal Age, will be released for
distribution on May 15th. That's right. Start counting the days.

The build clocks in at 655 megabytes, so brace yourselves. It'll be
available via Fileplanet and BitTorrents. I'm behind an 8 meg pipe, so I'll
try to get it as soon as it's released, and will be seeding it (torrent) for
an indefinite period whenever my computer's on (daytimes) to help with the
distribution. I suggest anyone of you behind a fast line do the same, so we
get this baby (a *big* baby) out to the world as effectively as possible.
It'll get wild, I guarantee that.

Eehhxcellent!

- Mika L

On Thu, 5 May 2005 23:45:32 +0300 Mika Latokartano said :

>Ok, taffers.
>
>Here you have it: the T2X: Shadows of the Metal Age, will be released for
>distribution on May 15th. That's right. Start counting the days.
>
>The build clocks in at 655 megabytes, so brace yourselves. It'll be
>available via Fileplanet and BitTorrents. I'm behind an 8 meg pipe, so I'll
>try to get it as soon as it's released, and will be seeding it (torrent) for
>an indefinite period whenever my computer's on (daytimes) to help with the
>distribution. I suggest anyone of you behind a fast line do the same, so we
>get this baby (a *big* baby) out to the world as effectively as possible.
>It'll get wild, I guarantee that.
>
>Eehhxcellent!
>
>- Mika L

I Hope some one will upload it to the newsgroups for easier distribution.

Bittorrents are slower than newsgroups.

Please post to

Alt.Binaires.Games.Thief

Newsgroup.... Others that want to seed could grab it
there and help shar the load quicker.

Using WinRar or HJSPlit to bust the zip in to 10meg or higher
segment and usage of programs like powerpost to post the
segments can help propel the new release to more people
much quicker than torrents.

Well at least for the newsgroup scene fans.............

Geneve

--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"

"Mika Latokartano" <mika.latokartano@REMOVETHIS.kolumbus.fi.invalid> wrote
in message news:d5e0m3$pd9$1@phys-news1.kolumbus.fi...
> Ok, taffers.
>
> Here you have it: the T2X: Shadows of the Metal Age, will be released for
> distribution on May 15th. That's right. Start counting the days.
>
> The build clocks in at 655 megabytes, so brace yourselves. It'll be
> available via Fileplanet and BitTorrents. I'm behind an 8 meg pipe, so
I'll
> try to get it as soon as it's released, and will be seeding it (torrent)
for
> an indefinite period whenever my computer's on (daytimes) to help with the
> distribution. I suggest anyone of you behind a fast line do the same, so
we
> get this baby (a *big* baby) out to the world as effectively as possible.
> It'll get wild, I guarantee that.
>
> Eehhxcellent!
>
> - Mika L

Hell yes!

On 5 May 2005 15:33:44 -0700, Geneve <a@n.com> wrote:

>Bittorrents are slower than newsgroups.

Hardly. I typically download 4-6 GB each night. Perhaps your connection
is slow, or you're being throttled by your ISP or by your router settings?

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

On Thu, 05 May 2005 18:28:07 -0500 Michael Cecil said :

>On 5 May 2005 15:33:44 -0700, Geneve <a@n.com> wrote:
>
>>Bittorrents are slower than newsgroups.
>
>Hardly. I typically download 4-6 GB each night. Perhaps your connection
>is slow, or you're being throttled by your ISP or by your router settings?

The last time I tried doing anything bit/wise a 350 meg file would have taken
30+ hours.

Newsgroup wise the same file size would come down 4.5meg speed.

If I can say it like that ?

Well if it does not make it to the newsgroups then I'll by pass
the project.

--

Mika Latokartano wrote:

> Ok, taffers.
>
> Here you have it: the T2X: Shadows of the Metal Age, will be released
> for distribution on May 15th. That's right. Start counting the days.
(Snip)>
> Eehhxcellent!
>
> - Mika L

My calendar is marked.
Albert

I'm not quite sure why nobody here has mentioned p2p, that together with
Bittorrent seems to me more effective than breaking down the mission in 65
small parts (ok I'm just lazy really).
I'll put it into LimeWire or Shareaza folder so people can get it via
Gnutella (2). I think Shareaza also does Torrent but I've had problems with
connections through the firewall from outside on that comp so it will
probably be Limewire and Gnutella.
My connection is 576 p/s so relatively slow, but maybe a few more people
could do the same.

--
Barnaby

It's nice to have a four day week and Fridays off.

On Thu, 5 May 2005 23:45:32 +0300, "Mika Latokartano"
<mika.latokartano@REMOVETHIS.kolumbus.fi.invalid> wrote:

>Ok, taffers.
>
>Here you have it: the T2X: Shadows of the Metal Age, will be released for
>distribution on May 15th. That's right. Start counting the days.

That's indeed great news, mate; we've all been waiting for this for a
long, long time. Too bad that I'm drenched in exams 'til early June :/

Since you've got your ear to the ground: Any uplifting news of Thief 3
FM development?
Always cross a vampire, never moon a werewolf

To reach me, swap spammers get bent with softhome

"Greger Hoel" <gregerh@spammersgetbent.net> kirjoitti
viestissä:h8dm71175e7d4lf5sl7bskj3lk19io985p@4ax.com...

> Since you've got your ear to the ground: Any uplifting news of Thief 3
> FM development?

Nothing concrete, I'm afraid. I know that several authors are neck-deep in
the mysteries of the T3Ed, and many FMs are on their way -- eventually.
Komag's T3 FM Contest has been pushed back due to real life interfering with
Komag's taffing schedules. He also wants to finish his own T3Ed tutorial.
The contest was supposed to start in a couple of weeks, but now we're
looking at a start date somewhere in June. Give a couple of months from
that, maybe three, and we should see several contest entries.

But before that, I'm sure we'll see a few T3 FMs. No one's announced
anything yet, or posted real screenies, but seeing how busy the T3 Editors'
Guild is, many FMs are definitely on their way. It'll still be a while,
though. Up until now it has pretty much been getting to grips with the
editor, learning its quirks, helping others out in basic stuff, building
supporting tools and writing tutorials, documenting stuff in the Fleshworks
Wiki, and so on. Much of the energy, time and resources has been spent on
getting all that together. Now it's getting close to the point where the
groundwork has been laid, and the real building can begin.

Well, the T2X should carry us well over the waiting period. I'm really
excited to see what it'll be like.

- Mika L

"Mika Latokartano" <mika.latokartano@REMOVETHIS.kolumbus.fi.invalid> wrote
in message news:d5e0m3$pd9$1@phys-news1.kolumbus.fi...
> Ok, taffers.
>
> Here you have it: the T2X: Shadows of the Metal Age, will be released for
> distribution on May 15th. That's right. Start counting the days.
>
> The build clocks in at 655 megabytes, so brace yourselves. It'll be
> available via Fileplanet and BitTorrents. I'm behind an 8 meg pipe, so
I'll
> try to get it as soon as it's released, and will be seeding it (torrent)
for
> an indefinite period whenever my computer's on (daytimes) to help with the
> distribution. I suggest anyone of you behind a fast line do the same, so
we
> get this baby (a *big* baby) out to the world as effectively as possible.
> It'll get wild, I guarantee that.
>
> Eehhxcellent!
>
> - Mika L

I'm sure my 56k modem will deal with that exceptionally nicely :)

I miss my broadband....

--
-----

Cookie McCrumble

cookiemccrumble"at"hotmail"dot"com
www.whateverhappenedtomysocks.co.uk

I like pie

Winamp: Signal Terminated.

I guess I was so busy pissing and moaning about
the lack of newgroup route to release this title
that I did not stop to think that I have a friend that
uses torrents without a problem.

Perhaps if the torrent information is released here
and timine. I can ask my friend to bring it down
for me instead ?

Geneve

--

On 7 May 2005 05:39:00 -0700, Geneve <a@n.com> wrote:

>I guess I was so busy pissing and moaning about
>the lack of newgroup route to release this title
>that I did not stop to think that I have a friend that
>uses torrents without a problem.
>
>Perhaps if the torrent information is released here
>and timine. I can ask my friend to bring it down
>for me instead ?
>
>Geneve

I'm sure a torrent will be posted on Cheap Missions.

--

Barnaby wrote:

> I'm not quite sure why nobody here has mentioned p2p, that together with
> Bittorrent seems to me more effective than breaking down the mission in 65
> small parts (ok I'm just lazy really).
> I'll put it into LimeWire or Shareaza folder so people can get it via
> Gnutella (2). I think Shareaza also does Torrent but I've had problems with
> connections through the firewall from outside on that comp so it will
> probably be Limewire and Gnutella.
> My connection is 576 p/s so relatively slow, but maybe a few more people
> could do the same.
>

> --
> Barnaby
>
> It's nice to have a four day week and Fridays off.

I have ADSL, about 128kb/s up. I had the Keeper of the Prophecies
Episodes 5-9 file up for a few days recently, and I don't mind doing the
same with T2X once it comes out. I mostly don't use the outgoing data
pipe anyway.

Objekt

can anyone recommend a *free* download manager to help me download this
when if comes out? something that'll work with win98se and latest
version of firefox? have installed FlashGot, so most popular download
manager will talk to firefox no problem...

D.

On Tue, 10 May 2005 17:48:43 GMT Daniel C said :

>can anyone recommend a *free* download manager to help me download this
>when if comes out? something that'll work with win98se and latest
>version of firefox? have installed FlashGot, so most popular download
>manager will talk to firefox no problem...
>
>D.

Are you on Dial Up or broadband ?

--

"Daniel C" <dontemailme@all.com> wrote in message
> can anyone recommend a *free* download manager to help me download this
> when if comes out? something that'll work with win98se and latest
> version of firefox? have installed FlashGot, so most popular download
> manager will talk to firefox no problem...
>
> D.

I still have GetRight installed although now on BB, but it's very good and
they have download manager plugins available to work with
Mozilla/Firefox/Netscape and Opera. You got to download them separately from
the website (only a few kb) and just click to install them. But you already
have Flashget, might be enough.

GetRight is free for 30 days or 30 uses -can't remember- but it never stops
working similar to Winzip. All you have to do is wait a few seconds until
the countdown disappears. And no adware or nagscreen. This is the best dl
manager ever.
Strange enough I restored a backup of Drive C about a year ago with NTbackup
incl. reg. and since then it acts like a full version, not even the
countdown any longer that used to make me wait a bit. Must have broken
something in the registry.

That's my advice. Shareaza also acts as a dl manager but I've never used it
for that.

--
Barnaby

> I have ADSL, about 128kb/s up. I had the Keeper of the Prophecies
> Episodes 5-9 file up for a few days recently, and I don't mind doing the
> same with T2X once it comes out. I mostly don't use the outgoing data
> pipe anyway.
>
> Objekt

Great. I have 256 up. A few more people and that should help distribution.

--
Barnaby

"Barnaby" <Dont.come.to.us@We.ll.come.to.you.com> kirjoitti
viestissä:IK7ge.1387$X86.1125@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net...
>> I have ADSL, about 128kb/s up. I had the Keeper of the Prophecies
>> Episodes 5-9 file up for a few days recently, and I don't mind doing the
>> same with T2X once it comes out. I mostly don't use the outgoing data
>> pipe anyway.
>>
>> Objekt
>
> Great. I have 256 up. A few more people and that should help distribution.

Oh, I'm in. I have 1M up (theoretical, in practice I'm guessing around 800
kbps, tops). I'll download it via torrent, and seed it whenever my
computer's on, which is basically all day. I also did the same with the
KotP 5-9. I'm sure we'll see a lot more people seeding it. I know there'll
be a bunch of TTLG taffers ready to help out. And let's not forget Brother
Renault's FM burning service:
http://home.wi.rr.com/mschwab/fmcds/

- Mika L

"Mika Latokartano" <mika.latokartano@REMOVETHIS.kolumbus.fi.invalid> wrote
in message news:d5r1vm$b3j$1@phys-news1.kolumbus.fi...

> Oh, I'm in. I have 1M up (theoretical, in practice I'm guessing around
800
> kbps, tops).
> - Mika L

You're living in the Nordic countries mate, I'm jealous. No such up speed
here in the UK. I recently got a quote from a business provider to get
decent speed both up and down and they quoted me over £3000 a year for SDSL.
Guess I'll give that a miss.

--
Barnaby

Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in

> On 5 May 2005 15:33:44 -0700, Geneve <a@n.com> wrote:
>
>>Bittorrents are slower than newsgroups.
>
> Hardly. I typically download 4-6 GB each night. Perhaps your
> connection is slow, or you're being throttled by your ISP or by your
> router settings?

4-6 a night is still pretty slow... perhaps your settings are affected ?

Just playing with you here.

Actually I never did like bit torrents. too many times the connctions
were undependable and for a small amount of 650 megs because of past
bad experiences who wants to take a week or a few to get some thing
that small ?

I saw times on bittorrent that something took up to 2-3 weeks to finally
complete versus dialup way back when in IRC it took maybe 4-6 days.

I don't trust bittorent seems your system is more open to attacks but then
I am no expert and each persons experiences I admit are not the same as
mine.

"Barnaby" <Dont.come.to.us@We.ll.come.to.you.com> wrote in

> I'm not quite sure why nobody here has mentioned p2p, that together
> --
> Barnaby
>
> It's nice to have a four day week and Fridays off.

The thing is more people that trade with the torrents and p2p are
getting busted by the powers that be because they do not have just
thief missions online.

Newsgroups have the bandwidth and you dont have to leave your pc
running all the time to try and help others get the mission packs.

Not that I mind helping thief missions get around. Phew I forgot
to add that part....

I did see the T2X postings in the thief binary group and was
very thank full that the poster was generous enough to take the
time to prepare the files andf the par2 repair files for that posting.

Some folks reported the files came down in less than 15 minutes because
it was on the newsgroups versus p2p with a single server say maybe
having eight people banging away to get it downloaded from a friendly
thief fan.

Don't get me wrong the thief sharing prople out there. What a nice lot
you are. Thanks ever so much for posting in any way possible
to keep this game alive.

Just came to mind. One other reason I dont like bittorent is the
preparation I found confusing.

Oh sure get the program running but then the make the files availabe
I found to be too confusing. Ok for some its a snap for others it is not
a brease to get the torrent things created.

The other rub was your IP was exposed as far as I remember at all times.

No anonymous there....

Objekt <t37student@yahoo.com> wrote in

> the same with T2X once it comes out. I mostly don't use the outgoing
> data pipe anyway.
>
> Objekt

Part of your so-called outgoing is tied in with you in-comming.

If your out going is maxed out then you in-comming is slowed
way down.

Well at least for some of us out here....

wrote in news:d5r1vm$b3j$1@phys-news1.kolumbus.fi:

> Oh, I'm in. I have 1M up (theoretical, in practice I'm guessing
> around 800 kbps, tops). I'll download it via torrent, and seed it
> http://home.wi.rr.com/mschwab/fmcds/
>
> - Mika L

Must be helpful to have that upload speed. I am capped at 40 I think
over here. Well anything from 40-45 seems to flux a lot.

"Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On 5 May 2005 15:33:44 -0700, Geneve <a@n.com> wrote:
>
>>Bittorrents are slower than newsgroups.
>
> Hardly. I typically download 4-6 GB each night. Perhaps your connection
> is slow, or you're being throttled by your ISP or by your router settings?

I can download on newsgroups 12 times as fast as bittorrent. I really would
love to know how people get these incredible download speeds on p2p. If I
get a steady 20kb/s, I consider myself very lucky! That compares to 235kb/s
on newsgroups.