vivafriends

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
For better or for worse, I opted for a sound card in my new computer.

With my speakers connected, there is always crackling when changing the volume, and frequently the sound is just poor.

Also, the volume dial only works up to ~60% and any setting past that is mute. Strange.

To test the speakers I connected them to my laptop, there were no issues.

I updated my drivers from the creative site, but then again, I don't really know if that did anything and was basically just clicking
what looked like it might be helpful.

Any ideas? Has anyone had this issue?

Here are my specs if it helps:

Mobo: MSI 790FX-GD70
CPU: AMD phenom ii 965 BE 3.4ghz
GPU: XFXHD 5870
Ram: G Skill 4 GB DDR3 2000
PSU: Corsair 650HX 650w
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos 1000
Speakers: Logitech Z-2300
Soundcard: Creative Xfi Xtreme Gamer

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
The first step you should take is to swap out the sound card with another (pick one up at a local brick & mortar like a best buy) and see if the problem persists.

vivafriends

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
Thanks for the reply --

I may just try and do that, I can't think of any other ideas.

It seems to work okay with the realtek sound card on my laptop.

The speakers work fine with the motherboard sound, I left a message with Creative support and will probably just return the card and use on board sound if I can't get it resolved.

I'll update if I have any other insight or find a way to resolve the issue.

D

Deleted member 217926

You have the latest drivers and Control Center software? I have been using my Xtreme Gamer and Z-2300s for a couple of years with no problems. Used them with several motherboard/processors as well as with XP Pro and Windows 7 Ultimate x64 ( betas and RC of Windows 7 and full retail ) and except for early in the Windows 7 RC days when the driver support was lacking I have been more than happy. You might just have a bad card.

Again, why I recommend AGAINST Creative cards; the XtremeGamer isn't even that good a card anymore...

Kill all Creative Drivers, and try the Daniel_K hacked drivers and see if that helps. Either that, or get an ASUS/Auzentech.

vivafriends

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
I uninstalled all the drivers, I will try resetting and swapping out the card over the weekend, when I put in a new CPU heatsink and fan (those of you familiar with AMD stock cooling know why).

D

Deleted member 217926

Make sure you use Driver Sweeper for Creative drivers just like you would with video card drivers.

If you are not sure about that just follow the directions on this page.

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/