Laptop memory comparison ddr2 vs ddr3

walterfrazier

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
I just purchased a Toshiba with a Celeron 900 with 3 DDR3 installed. It was a good deal for an extra. But, is there any benefit in having DDR3 memory with a Celeron?

Solution
Like Enzo said it cost the same as DDR2 and as for a laptop they would opt for the DDR3 for the fact that it uses less power meaning longer battery life.
Memory is the worst performance benefit vs cost part there is when it comes to differing speeds.

DDR3 memory is not necessarily faster than DDR2-800MHz memory, depending on speed and timings.

DDR3 memory is the same price as DDR2 memory (approx.) as of current.

DDR3 memory uses less power than DDR2 memory.

3 what? GB?

The average user will not notice a difference between DDR3 1600MHz and DDR2 800MHz.

walterfrazier

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
I just can understand why Toshiba would incure the expense of DDR3 memory on a budget Celeron 900 laptop when DDR2 would achieve basically the same performance. I had wondered if the DDR3 memory would boost the processors performance and I read that some of the new processors require DDR3 memory.

I certainly believe I get a good deal with the Toshiba L455-S5000 and I know processor gurus will not agree. I just wish I know why DDR3 memory was selected. The laptop also didn't have wireless N, only b/g.

Thanks for your input

popatim

Titan
dont forget that most people dont know about the difference (lackof) performance between DDR2 and DDR3 and automatically assume that any speed DDR3 would be much faster than DDr2. Its a selling feature as well as power savings; a win-win for the manufacturer

walterfrazier

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
I didn't realize that DDR3 memory would releave the battery usage. When I bought the laptop I felt the faster memory would offset the Celeron 900 processor. There's so much negative talk about Celeron's that I was afraid I was buying a dinosaur but I really didn't think I needed a super powerful core driven machine. Actually I don't know what people are doing with Core 3, 5, and 7's. If I were doing serious gaming I would propably want something bigger than a laptop but what do I know?