Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Laptop memory comparison ddr2 vs ddr3

Last response: in CPUs
June 29, 2010 8:05:45 PM

I just purchased a Toshiba with a Celeron 900 with 3 DDR3 installed. It was a good deal for an extra. But, is there any benefit in having DDR3 memory with a Celeron?
a c 131 à CPUs
June 29, 2010 8:55:57 PM

Memory is the worst performance benefit vs cost part there is when it comes to differing speeds.

DDR3 memory is not necessarily faster than DDR2-800MHz memory, depending on speed and timings.

DDR3 memory is the same price as DDR2 memory (approx.) as of current.

DDR3 memory uses less power than DDR2 memory.

3 what? GB?

The average user will not notice a difference between DDR3 1600MHz and DDR2 800MHz.
m
l
June 30, 2010 11:31:12 AM

I just can understand why Toshiba would incure the expense of DDR3 memory on a budget Celeron 900 laptop when DDR2 would achieve basically the same performance. I had wondered if the DDR3 memory would boost the processors performance and I read that some of the new processors require DDR3 memory.

I certainly believe I get a good deal with the Toshiba L455-S5000 and I know processor gurus will not agree. I just wish I know why DDR3 memory was selected. The laptop also didn't have wireless N, only b/g.

Thanks for your input
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 133 à CPUs
a b } Memory
June 30, 2010 12:39:04 PM

Like Enzo said it cost the same as DDR2 and as for a laptop they would opt for the DDR3 for the fact that it uses less power meaning longer battery life.
June 30, 2010 1:27:12 PM

Best answer selected by walterfrazier.
m
l
a c 145 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
a b } Memory
June 30, 2010 10:59:25 PM

dont forget that most people dont know about the difference (lackof) performance between DDR2 and DDR3 and automatically assume that any speed DDR3 would be much faster than DDr2. Its a selling feature as well as power savings; a win-win for the manufacturer
m
l
July 1, 2010 12:37:38 AM

I didn't realize that DDR3 memory would releave the battery usage. When I bought the laptop I felt the faster memory would offset the Celeron 900 processor. There's so much negative talk about Celeron's that I was afraid I was buying a dinosaur but I really didn't think I needed a super powerful core driven machine. Actually I don't know what people are doing with Core 3, 5, and 7's. If I were doing serious gaming I would propably want something bigger than a laptop but what do I know?
m
l
!