Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

ATT &T DSL cannot connect to internet

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
May 6, 2010 4:22:09 AM

Hello,
First let me said that I am not a computer expert so I need someone to help me but make it simple. I just purchased a Linsky wireless router and when I tried to make the connections following the disk instructions, it keep saying that i have no internet connection, as soon as I change it back to the modem direct to the computer, i get internet connection. I just purchased my first laptop and i have not been able to test it.
Anonymous
May 6, 2010 5:28:53 AM

Run an ethernet cable from computer to router and following the setup instructions that came with the router (or download the manual from Linksys) go into the router's setup pages. Temporarily disable wireless security. Save settings. Exit.

Try to contact the router via wireless, with the ethernet cable disconnected. If that works, try getting on the internet. If success, the issue was with wireless security.

Carefully follow the instructions for setting up wireless security type and passphrase.
m
0
l
May 7, 2010 2:51:50 AM

Quote:
Run an ethernet cable from computer to router and following the setup instructions that came with the router (or download the manual from Linksys) go into the router's setup pages. Temporarily disable wireless security. Save settings. Exit.

Try to contact the router via wireless, with the ethernet cable disconnected. If that works, try getting on the internet. If success, the issue was with wireless security.

Carefully follow the instructions for setting up wireless security type and passphrase.


I do not know if it will work that way because. I have At & T services (DSL) so I need to connect to the modem (motorola 2210) to get the phone line.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 7, 2010 6:42:03 AM

aleida13 said:
I do not know if it will work that way because. I have At & T services (DSL) so I need to connect to the modem (motorola 2210) to get the phone line.


[#0005ff]You need to link the DSL MODEM to your new Linksys router and then follow Fihart's advice. The MODEM should have come with a cable - possibly blue - to link to a router and on your Linksys, there will be a separate socket from the other four into which that cable goes.[/#000ff]
m
0
l
May 14, 2010 2:43:45 AM

Thank you but where do you go to access the wireless security keeping in mind that i have att & t dsl and also i need to connect my laptop (windows 7) and desktop w xp? I was on the phone with Cisco-Linsky for 1 hr already twice. I followed the directions. Still no connection using the router but connecting with direct modem to pc computer.
m
0
l
May 14, 2010 7:09:18 AM

aleida13 said:
Thank you but where do you go to access the wireless security keeping in mind that i have att & t dsl and also i need to connect my laptop (windows 7) and desktop w xp? I was on the phone with Cisco-Linsky for 1 hr already twice. I followed the directions. Still no connection using the router but connecting with direct modem to pc computer.


[#0005ff]The security key details might be printed on the case but if not, you can find them using the method I described in post #3 in this thread http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/28102-18-suppoort-s.... Can your wireless adapter on a lapto or PC identify the network but not let you in or can you not "see" it at all? Are you sure the router is connected to the MODEM through the uplink socket and not one of the others?[/#000ff]
m
0
l
May 15, 2010 4:43:13 AM

I'll ask this even though it may be silly to 99% of the world: Your DSL modem doesnt have built in nat does it? For example, if the DSL modem is ACTUALLY a router as well (has a light dubbed "Internet" on it), some of the ones ATT hands out will give out a private IP in the same range as the linksys has on its private network, therefore never allowing the router to function when configuring the WAN port for DHCP. If this is a *stupid* modem (typically one that ONLY has a DSL light, no "Internet" light) and you're configuring PPPoE on the router, then there is clearly something going on beyond that.
Also if you ARE using the PPPoE option and the DSL modem has an Internet light on it, try setting DHCP -- a few newer ones i've seen do the PPPoE for you, then hand out the IP via dhcp to a single device.
m
0
l
!