TESTICLOR

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
I want a new processor I have all the spec on my system and can either email them or post as needed.
Surrent:amd Athalon IIx2 250u
Socket:am3
Board: eMachines MCP61PM-GM
Bus clock:200mghz
Bios:AMI P01-A2 12/10/2009
Usable Installed Memory:5120 MB
I have also upgraded to a 750watt PSU,
Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT (I know not that great), I have plenty of a$$ just no umph.
If any one can help I'd appreciate any and all opinions or tech advice!

Solution
If your motherboard allows it, you should be able to upgrade to an Athlon II X3, II X4, Phenom II X2, Phenom II X3 or Phenom II X4 processor. This is a guess, but I'm supposing it may have an ECS MCP61PM-GM motherboard...
If your motherboard allows it, you should be able to upgrade to an Athlon II X3, II X4, Phenom II X2, Phenom II X3 or Phenom II X4 processor. This is a guess, but I'm supposing it may have an ECS MCP61PM-GM motherboard...

Solution

loneninja

Distinguished
What model is that computer? I'm not having much luck finding anything based on the board model. Emachines website, which should contain some sort of cpu support lists, organizes everything by model number of the PC.

Personally from experience, I would assume your board can only take 95W processors, so the Athlon II line is probably the best you can buy.(a few of the 95W Phenom II models may be supported)

uh_no

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
why would it only take 95w processors? that doesn't make any sense.....the board provides the same voltage regardless of the thermal envelope.....how much current is drawn is irrelevent so long as it doesn't exceed the 95w power constraint......so any lower power processors should be quite easily used......going over though is much less sure.....but it is silly to say it can only take 95W processors......you can say it will not take processors above that, but you make it sound like if its not 95w it won't work, and that's simply not true

I can find no definate info on what it can take but I am fairly sure the Maximum it can handle is either 95W or 65W unless you can find any confirmation I would not recommend going above an Athlon x 2 250 unless you can afford to buy a new board if you need to. This is still a big upgrade as the 250u is only 1.6GHz (and 25W).

TESTICLOR

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010

Yes ecs mcp61pm-gm board. BTW it's able to handle up to 65w
@loneninja emachines site itself sucks because every pc they sell states on the info that "actual components may vary".
I appreciate everybodies feedback. athlon II x2 255 regor seems to be the best bang for the buck, but with research on the boards capabilities. I have decided to take on building a system from the ground up. Not necessarily a gaming rig. (occasional doom 3 or other old games) Primarily,multi-tasking with graphics editing & art programs, web browsing, and media usage.
Definitely would appreciate any further help all of you can give.
Considerations are: low cost mid atx cooler master cm 690 case, AMD Phenom II X4 955 Quad Core (cost and for some stupid reason I like AMD) mobo considering Asus M4A78T-E
mobo and CPU bundled for 259.99 descent deal?
Looking for RAM and cooling suggestions.
Any recomendations variations or compatabilty info greatly needed (first time build). I am going to take my time on deciding on everything and going from there.
BTW, I have a spare 750w nothing special antec PSU, decent dvdrw optical and exhausting amount of ext. and internal sata hard drives and space for use in this build.
You all have been a huge help. Many many thanks!