Can a hard drive bottleneck?

scoobuss

Honorable
May 31, 2012
my usb portable hard drive will not work.

it shows as being installed but on the computer window it is not even there. i have tried searching for it and files on it but to no avail.

my local computer shop says it is possibly a bottle necks, and i should hand it in for repair.

i don't want to do that as it has a lot of sensitive data on it and the store is known for dodgy dealing.

the only other stores are the about the same or like pcworld they charge more than i can afford and say it will take a few months due to a back log of repairs.

scoobuss

Anub1s

Honorable
May 27, 2012
I'd like to know what they mean by bottleneck in that regard, because it sounds like they're feeding you a bunch of bull to try to get you to pay for it.

Have you tried plugging it in different USB ports? Or uninstalling the driver for it, unplugging it, and plugging it back in?

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
First of all, the folks at your local computer shop are full of crap. Never go there again for any reason. Come here instead. Please provide more information about your computer. (Make, Model, etc.) Also the make and model of your USB drive. Exactly where does it show as being installed and when you say it's not in the computer window are you referring the Windows Explorer (My Computer) window? What OS do you have? If you provide this information someone here will get it sorted out for you absolutely free.

scoobuss

Honorable
May 31, 2012

i have tried this and it still is not working, i have also changed the caddie.

scoobuss

Honorable
May 31, 2012

i use the hard drive for storage and back-up for old files when i sold my old laptop and had to reboot my new one, the files are word photos and other documents and some movie and audio files.

scoobuss

Honorable
May 31, 2012

i am running widows vista on my laptop and windows 7 on my desk top