Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Core i9 vs core i7

Last response: in CPUs
Share
June 29, 2010 11:06:00 PM

Hi,i was looking to upgrade on my prossesor recently and decided that core i7 is the way to go,but,then something gaught my eye.The core i9.I am not sure about anything about this product except that the core i7 doesnt even come close.But with the type of preformance coming from the core i9 comes the price of the core i9 ranging from between 800-900 (us-dollars) or 6080-6840 Rands.That simply is to much for a prossesor to me and the core i7 is twice as cheap.I just wanted to know,would it be beter to jank something out of your ass and hope you *** money so you can get the core i9 or would Core i7 be just as good for preformance in high end systems for gaming and graphic desighning with a price for around 3000 Rands

Thanks in advance

Ps-i just want to run modern age games and graphic desighning software at full specs without any lag aswell as multitasking on the internet with multimedia running on the same time.

Thanks again.

More about : core core

a b à CPUs
June 29, 2010 11:10:17 PM

Wait, I don't think the Core i9 exists. It was changed to i7 980X, which should be a very powerful processor. With games, a faster graphics card is more important.
June 29, 2010 11:14:06 PM

Haha i just upgraded to the ati radeon 5770 hd recently as well but i am experiencing lag in games such as modern warfare 2 or crysis.And also i shoud add,one of my friends does have exactly the same system as i do except he has an i7 and everything is fine as far as gaming is concernd(sorry for spelling)
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
June 29, 2010 11:26:20 PM

well, what are your system specs, as i used to run a single 4870 (about the same power) and had no problems in MW2 (i got a second because of Battlefield: Bad Company 2)

though crysis will wreck havoc even on high end systems (ie single 5770 should be pulling high settings)
June 29, 2010 11:46:35 PM

Here is system specs as reqeusted

Motherboard - ms 7519 neo
Prossesor - intell quad core q6600 2.4 ghz
Ram - kingston 4 gig ddr2 800mhz
Power supply - 585watt odin
Os - windows 7 64 bit
Cpu cooler -Zalman cnp9500 at
Graphics card - Asus ati 5770 hd
Hard Drive -Samsung 1 terrabite(1000 gig) x1 + western digital 250 gig x1
June 29, 2010 11:49:16 PM

Here is system specs as reqeusted

Motherboard - ms 7519 neo
Prossesor - intell quad core q6600 2.4 ghz
Ram - kingston 4 gig ddr2 800mhz
Power supply - 585watt odin
Os - windows 7 64 bit
Cpu cooler -Zalman cnp9500 at
Graphics card - Asus ati 5770 hd
Hard Drive -Samsung 1 terrabite(1000 gig) x1 + western digital 250 gig x1
a c 83 à CPUs
June 29, 2010 11:57:30 PM

What resolution are you running games at? It's always an important factor in game performance.

As to the I7 980X, the extra 2 cores don't really do anything for gaming. Actually outside of a few applications, 6 cores doesn't show much gain over 4 in anything right now.
June 30, 2010 12:01:32 AM

im currently gaming at 1920x1080,running desighning software on that ressolution as well,and thanks for the headsup on the prossesor
June 30, 2010 12:06:42 AM

also I should ad that at the moment when gaming i can't change to a lower ressolution because this leads to poor picture quality,I have a 32" screen HD with the propper cables and connectors to graphics card,but changing the ressolution lower even to 1776x1000 gives a overwhelming blur to the picture quality and you cant see a thing but this does make the game run a little smoother,Could it be that my pc is overheating or somthing
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2010 2:22:48 AM

Lmeow said:
Wait, I don't think the Core i9 exists................


It doesn't
June 30, 2010 3:33:43 AM

Flektrish said:
also I should ad that at the moment when gaming i can't change to a lower ressolution because this leads to poor picture quality,I have a 32" screen HD with the propper cables and connectors to graphics card,but changing the ressolution lower even to 1776x1000 gives a overwhelming blur to the picture quality and you cant see a thing but this does make the game run a little smoother,Could it be that my pc is overheating or somthing


that's because it's not at the native resolutions, your monitor is resizing the image, which is going to look kinda shitty, for example, if you game on a 1920x 1080 monitor, if you change that to a something like 1600x900, there no way to make the pixels fit exactly, because each pixel on the resolution you set will try to cover 1.2 real pixels on your monitor so that where the blur comes from it's best to run at native resolutions
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2010 5:48:20 AM

^ Isn't it aspect ratio is what matters?

Like 1680 x 1050 on a 1080p monitor looks strange because 1680 x 1050 is 16:10 while 1920 x 1080 is 16:9, but 1366 x 768 looks fine on a 1080p monitor, very slightly blurry, but a lot better than 1680 x 1050.
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2010 5:56:21 AM

nah, it still looks pretty bad up scaling a lower res to a higher one, different aspect ratio makes it even worse
June 30, 2010 6:56:26 AM

if the i9 comes out... it would probably be a server chip, as no game requires 6+ cores.
June 30, 2010 7:02:50 AM

Lmeow said:
^ Isn't it aspect ratio is what matters?

Like 1680 x 1050 on a 1080p monitor looks strange because 1680 x 1050 is 16:10 while 1920 x 1080 is 16:9, but 1366 x 768 looks fine on a 1080p monitor, very slightly blurry, but a lot better than 1680 x 1050.


yeah bad example, oppps different aspect ratios really screw it up, but even upscaling from 768p to 1080p (which i have to do when i use my tv as a 2nd monitor 1080i....ewww) it does leave me wanting the crisper image the true higher res brings
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2010 7:39:35 AM

Flektrish said:
Hi,i was looking to upgrade on my prossesor recently and decided that core i7 is the way to go,but,then something gaught my eye.The core i9.I am not sure about anything about this product except that the core i7 doesnt even come close.But with the type of preformance coming from the core i9 comes the price of the core i9 ranging from between 800-900 (us-dollars) or 6080-6840 Rands.That simply is to much for a prossesor to me and the core i7 is twice as cheap.I just wanted to know,would it be beter to jank something out of your ass and hope you *** money so you can get the core i9 or would Core i7 be just as good for preformance in high end systems for gaming and graphic desighning with a price for around 3000 Rands

Thanks in advance

Ps-i just want to run modern age games and graphic desighning software at full specs without any lag aswell as multitasking on the internet with multimedia running on the same time.

Thanks again.


Rands, eh? fellow Saffer, then. I'd like to see where you got those prices from, because the top-end Core-i7's retail for R10000 at least.

http://www.take2.co.za/list.php?type=&qsearch=core+i7

The so-called i9 does not exist, and the 980X is way too expensive to be value for money.

Also, you would have to buy a new motherboard for an i7 since it won't fit your current board.
June 30, 2010 9:55:37 AM

Then your shopping at a very expensive site.Try Corex beter know as com x computers.And i know the 980x is expensive thats why i posted this.would it be worth the money to upgrade to a 980x instead of 930,What gives the best performance to price ratio.I have a second motherboard here that does support i7's but should i stick with quad core or just get it over with and spend hard earn money on an overpriced i7

Thanks for all the relpy's on the bad picture i know theres nothing i can do about it now

June 30, 2010 9:59:42 AM

p4nz3rm4d said:
if the i9 comes out... it would probably be a server chip, as no game requires 6+ cores.



Yes it is crazy having that many cores just for simple things but i am also looking into the future.I would like to buy something and not have to buy a new somthing 3 months later.I want it to last as long as possible so thats why i picked this particular prossesor
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2010 10:01:45 AM

Go check on ComX, R10000 for the top end ones, like I said. If you have the money to spend, I suppose it's your choice, but for R10000 you can build an ENTIRE new system from the ground up that will perform more than adequately. The 980X does not give you three times the performance of a i7-930 or even an i5-750, and thus does not justify three times the price.
June 30, 2010 10:08:01 AM

Herr_Koos said:
Rands, eh? fellow Saffer, then. I'd like to see where you got those prices from, because the top-end Core-i7's retail for R10000 at least.

http://www.take2.co.za/list.php?type=&qsearch=core+i7

The so-called i9 does not exist, and the 980X is way too expensive to be value for money.

Also, you would have to buy a new motherboard for an i7 since it won't fit your current board.



I needed to apologise for wrong pricing given.Jes the 980x is around 10000 - 10800 Rands but i whas talking about a core i9.I saw pic on the web with benchmarks including core i9 prossesor and upclose pics of the i9 as well without any blurry pictures or anything this looked like the reall deal but,some other guys posted that i whas confused and that the core i9 is actually the 980x.Dont know if this is tru but this got me down in the dumps.Thank you.
June 30, 2010 10:11:19 AM

Thank you

PS i dont have the money....yet,but should i consider installing more Ram then or why is my pc giving me lag when just playing games like mw2 assassins creed 2 or somthing like that when I know that i shouldn;t be doing that because i dont have the best system but I sure as heck dont have the worst.

thanks in advance
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2010 10:17:31 AM

Your CPU is maybe a bit of a bottleneck. If you don't want to spend big bucks for an i5 or i7 upgrade, a faster Core 2 Quad might do the trick. Check your motherboard CPU support list.
June 30, 2010 10:31:23 AM

will do,now i want to change the focus point,would it be beter to buy a core i5 than a core i7 or just be the same with a major difrence(the price)
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2010 10:43:40 AM

Once again, it depends on what you want to do with the PC. If gaming is you primary focus, the CPU is less important and the choice of GPU takes precedence. The i7's really shine when it come to intensive multi-threaded applications like video encoding, ray-tracing, etc. For gaming though, the CPU just needs to be fast enough not to bottleneck the GPU too much.

If you're set on Intel, the i5-750 really is a fantastic CPU and great value for money. Or you could broaden your horizons and go the AMD route. The Phenom 2 X4 series is great for gaming and much cheaper than most Intel CPU's.
June 30, 2010 11:17:39 AM

At this moment id like intell so far please,because amd series graphics cards and prossesors though cheap gave me an awfull lot of problems.So Herr_Koos i wanted to hear from you ,what would you pick had you been in my position
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2010 11:33:44 AM

You are currently using an AMD graphic card, by the way... ;-) I've been running and AMD-based system for 3 years with no hiccups, but that's me.

Like I said, it depends on your budget and what you plan to use the system for. You need to decide for yourself what you can afford to do.
June 30, 2010 11:40:32 AM

I Know :D , budget= 1500-3000 Rands i plan to use the system for gaming and graphic desighning aswell as a multimedia pc and for multitasking,the option is i7 930 or i5 750 what would you pick if you were me
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2010 11:42:31 AM

Careful! They don't use the same socket. You mentioned you already have an i7 motherboard. Which model exactly?
June 30, 2010 12:32:33 PM

just overclock your processor!!
stock voltage or (1.28 ~ 1.30)
FSB 333 mhz.
final speed 3.0 ghz
memory ratio: auto (1:1.2>>800 mhz)
Is a safe overclock with a great results.

I have this proccessor with a HD4870 an run great any game.
at 1080p your bottleneck is the GPU, not the CPU (3.0 GHZ)
July 2, 2010 9:35:59 PM

Herr_Koos said:
Careful! They don't use the same socket. You mentioned you already have an i7 motherboard. Which model exactly?


RoG asus rampage 2 extreme
July 2, 2010 9:39:58 PM

gfg said:
just overclock your processor!!
stock voltage or (1.28 ~ 1.30)
FSB 333 mhz.
final speed 3.0 ghz
memory ratio: auto (1:1.2>>800 mhz)
Is a safe overclock with a great results.

I have this proccessor with a HD4870 an run great any game.
at 1080p your bottleneck is the GPU, not the CPU (3.0 GHZ)

thanks for the info,but i dont aprove of overclocking my own system components,it shortens their lifespan drasticly,but thank you,also you said its my gpu causing the trouble and not my cpu.The graphics card is brand new 2 weeks old at most and as I said before its the 5770 ati radeon hd series graphics,thats not a bad graphics card at all,why would it be causing problems?
a c 131 à CPUs
July 2, 2010 11:05:07 PM

Flektrish said:
thanks for the info,but i dont aprove of overclocking my own system components,it shortens their lifespan drasticly

This is incorrect. Overvolting will decrease lifespan, but still not drastically. This is because of electromigration. You don't even have to increase the voltage to get a fair, stable overclock.
July 3, 2010 4:47:51 AM

Flektrish said:
thanks for the info,but i dont aprove of overclocking my own system components,it shortens their lifespan drasticly,but thank you,also you said its my gpu causing the trouble and not my cpu.The graphics card is brand new 2 weeks old at most and as I said before its the 5770 ati radeon hd series graphics,thats not a bad graphics card at all,why would it be causing problems?
there nothing drastic about it, i've personally keep my i7 at 3.8 24/7 for over a year now,
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2010 4:43:32 PM

Flektrish said:
RoG asus rampage 2 extreme


Socket 1366 then. You have no choice but to go for an i7 since the i5 uses a different socket.
July 8, 2010 1:36:51 PM

Thank you/ i7 it is any sites youd recomend for best prive to preformance ratio
a b à CPUs
July 8, 2010 1:43:38 PM

Flektrish said:
Thank you/ i7 it is any sites youd recomend for best prive to preformance ratio


Do you mean online shopping sites?
July 8, 2010 1:46:50 PM

Hi,got something new in mind just wanted to know what you guys think,this is a complete new system built ground up

Prossesor---intell core i7 930 2.8 ghz
Motherboard---asus p6x58d
power supply---850 gtx
Ram---6 gig reaper
Hard drive---1.250 terrabite
Grapics---quad sli 5770 HD asus
Monitor---Samsung 32"
Sound---z5500 logitek
Case---smilodon gaming development
Cpu cooling ---zalman cnp9600

Please,give me your opinion

I want to hear from you guys aswell before jumping in
July 8, 2010 1:52:53 PM

not SLI ,crossfire ,sorry
July 8, 2010 2:03:50 PM

also i see the motherboard cant do quad crossfire///pity///please sugest a motherboard that can
July 9, 2010 9:56:54 PM

Herr_Koos said:
Do you mean online shopping sites?

just for refrence yes
August 16, 2012 2:06:45 AM

Just felt like I should add this, but yes, core i9's have been out for a while... but only large companies have them like defense contractors... I have a buddy who works for one and they got a few on some hi end rendering machines...
First off, theyre more like a work in progress and are like the Draft N of the processor world... they also cost thousands of bux and weren't originally intended for consumers... I think that sums up all you'd need to know, haha.
Apparently they're badass, but more like a test platform.
a b à CPUs
August 16, 2012 2:59:56 AM

^ You might wanna check the date of the last post in a thread, since the one you replied to is over 2 yrs old. Let dead threads lie in pieces :D ..
March 26, 2013 10:36:44 AM

GO for intel 3 gen core i7 extreme.Its the best processor for gaming.
a b à CPUs
March 26, 2013 1:39:22 PM

Zombie thread....

Please folks, check dates before posting.
!