New Mobo, New CPU, New RAM. Is i5 the way to go?

Brockavich

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
So, I'm thinking it could be time to upgrade my system very soon.

Currently I have:
ASUS P5K/EPU
Wolfdale E8400 3.0Ghz
4GB 800Mhz Corsair XMS2
eVGA GTX275

Now I think is because I mightve damaged my CPU during a screwy overclocking session, but I just find that a lot of things that used to load like SNAP now kinda load... slower. I'm formatting my PC and putting new and shiny Windows 7 64bit Ultimate on it soon to see if it was Windows that was the issue, or if my CPU is truly . But regardless I think it's time for an upgrade.

Now I haven't been in the game for a VERY long time. Last I was in the thick of this, the GTX295 was king haha. But what I'm asking is this:

1. What is a sturdy (nothing crazy or fancy) mobo that can support those newfangled i5 CPUs? Again, just a midrange board. Keep in mind I want to keep my current card. Looking to spend no more than $150 or so.
2. What's a good CPU to use? I was thinking i5 seeing as all my friends are telling me to get it. I tend to game alot and when I'm not I often run chat apps, music, photoshop, and maybe compling files in Winrar or something. The games I like to play are Crysis, BF2, Modern Warfare 2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games, etc) Looking to spend about or less than $200
3. RAM? How much and what speed would you recommend with the mobo you chose for me? Keeping in mind that I do a fair bit of gaming. $100 or so would be nice

I know it's a lot but I can think of no better people to ask than fellow enthusiasts :D

Anyways yeah for tl;dr:
I do a lot of gaming, need a new setup.
1. new mobo, about $150
2. new CPU, about $200
3. new RAM, about $100

Thanks Toms for any of your suggestions! :hello:

Solution
You're unlikely to notice any difference by replacing the graphics card, unless you move to an ATI 5870/5970 or an nVidia 295 GTX or 480. Or at least not not enough to be worth the cost.

If the Windows install doesn't fix things, I'd suggest going AM3. It was recently leaked/announced that LGA 1156 (the socket for i5) is going to be phased out next year. AMD hasn't announced when their next change is, but it's likely to be further out.

Mobo - ASUS M4A79XTD EVO $109 + free shipping (counting $10 MIR), or wait a month or two for more 890 boards to come out -- this has no USB 3/SATA 6 Gb/s support, you could spend more for that if you like.
Processor - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition - $160 + free shipping - you...

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
get an LGA 775 Quad core Q6600/Q9550 and a 5850, you will be ok for another year or so... by then you'll already have a capable video card when you upgrade the motherboard/CPU/RAM and by then it will have dropped in price some...

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
You're unlikely to notice any difference by replacing the graphics card, unless you move to an ATI 5870/5970 or an nVidia 295 GTX or 480. Or at least not not enough to be worth the cost.

If the Windows install doesn't fix things, I'd suggest going AM3. It was recently leaked/announced that LGA 1156 (the socket for i5) is going to be phased out next year. AMD hasn't announced when their next change is, but it's likely to be further out.

Mobo - ASUS M4A79XTD EVO $109 + free shipping (counting $10 MIR), or wait a month or two for more 890 boards to come out -- this has no USB 3/SATA 6 Gb/s support, you could spend more for that if you like.
Processor - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition - $160 + free shipping - you could also do just fine with an Athlon II X3 ($75 + free shipping) or other low-end processor and get a hex-core when they come out for somewhere between $200-300...or just stick with the X3, as most benchmarks don't show any improvement moving from 3 to 4 cores.
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws CAS 7 1600 MHz 4 GB kit - $115 + free shipping - more than 4 GB is unnecessary for gaming right now

Total: $384 with Phenom, or $299 with Athlon II X3
+$30 for the Gigabyte mobo

And, if necessary, $100 for Windows 7.

Solution

Brockavich

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
Yeah I've already got the installer for 7 on my desktop, it's been taunting me to install it for months lol :p

However I've heard AMDs are somewhat unstable, especially when OCing? True at all?

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
I haven't heard anything like that. AMD has classically been an overclocker favorite, especially the Black Edition processors, since they have an unlocked multiplier. And the X2s and X3s can sometimes have their additional cores unlocked, which appeals to many overclockers.