System Restore Application has encountered a problem

System restore will not start. I get the above message everytime. I ran
SFC.exe and it didn't help. Although, how do I run SFC.exe when I have SP2
installed, but don't have the CD? It asked me for the "original CD" - which I
used.

Hi

Have a look for a folder on your hard disk/partition named i386. If found,
point to that when asked for the XP CD.

Or, you can try reinstalling System Restore. Open Windows Explorer and go
to the windows\inf folder. Find the sr.inf file, right click on it and
select Install.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"fourspeedlarry" <fourspeedlarry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> System restore will not start. I get the above message everytime. I ran
> SFC.exe and it didn't help. Although, how do I run SFC.exe when I have SP2
> installed, but don't have the CD? It asked me for the "original CD" -
> which I
> used.

Thanks for the help.
When I tried to install it - it ask me for the XP SP2 CD. I went ahead and
downloaded the SP2 installation file - how do I create a CD from the file?
Just in case this wasn't possible I went ahead and ordered one anyway. I just
don't want to wait for it.

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Have a look for a folder on your hard disk/partition named i386. If found,
> point to that when asked for the XP CD.
>
> Or, you can try reinstalling System Restore. Open Windows Explorer and go
> to the windows\inf folder. Find the sr.inf file, right click on it and
> select Install.
>
> --
>

> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "fourspeedlarry" <fourspeedlarry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > System restore will not start. I get the above message everytime. I ran
> > SFC.exe and it didn't help. Although, how do I run SFC.exe when I have SP2
> > installed, but don't have the CD? It asked me for the "original CD" -
> > which I
> > used.

Hi

Follow the directions in the following article to create a slipstreamed
XP CD:

http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49