Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Undervolting fan mod gone wrong..

Last response: in Components
June 29, 2010 11:32:57 PM

Hey guys. Something really horrible happened today.

Last week, I had successfully undervolted my fan so it would rotate slower. However, today I detached my fan and accidentally used the same cord to power a second harddrive. After approximately 30 seconds or so, I look over and I see smoke coming out of the wire and it was bright red as if a fire was going to start.

I quickly turned off the computer to prevent my house from possibly burning down. I was using a Corsair VX450 and now one of the wires is completely fried. The entire wire is melted and looks terrible. I do not know if the rest of the PSU or any of my other parts are damaged but they look like they are still in perfect condition. The harddrive that was connected is also still usable.

My question is should I replace my PSU or is it still usable? I am worried it may be a fire hazard from now on. Also, what are the chances that the rest of my computer components are damaged?

Thanks.

Best solution

June 30, 2010 12:23:45 AM

Snip it cover with electrical tape. Should still work. Maybe HD is dead but probably not. Like I said if it was me I would snip before the burn and tape end to avoid contact with metal. Essentially making that link dead. Shouldn't hurt anything since its doing the same as the ones not plugged in.
Unless you close the circuit it shouldn't be an issue so It should work.
June 30, 2010 12:27:33 AM

Wait forgot to add you should TEST it before using it in the system. You do this by shorting two pins on the 20pin connector. [ This does the same as send the 6v signal to the psu to turn on.] See if fan starts etc... If any wires heat up dont do it on the system otherwise i would say its fine.

EDIT: NOT any two pins. Google how to start a PSU by connecting two pins.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 1, 2010 6:10:19 AM

Bump. More thoughts on this please.
m
l
July 1, 2010 12:05:25 PM

Hard to Kill a power supply, you can short the outputs all day on a good supply. It just runs up to the maximum output current and puts put alot of heat.
Running the hard drive at a lower voltage caused it to draw more current (ohms law) The hard drive if not destroyed has probably been damaged. if it still works great just keep your data backed up.
m
l
July 7, 2010 11:59:09 PM

Best answer selected by Ryy.
m
l
!