Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows is not shutting down

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 22, 2010 8:51:22 AM

Hello,I bought a fire wire card pci and installed it on my pc Asrock motherboard. After installed the system cannot shut down only the harddisk shuts but fans continue to run. When I take it back out the card the pc shuts normally. Any ideas please?

More about : windows shutting

April 22, 2010 9:52:46 AM


What brand and model firewire card ?

What model mobo ?

Does the FW card work ?

... I may have more questions, but answer these, first.


= Alvin =

Joke of the Day:

A guy walks into the Doctor's office and says, "Doc!? ... My left arm really hurts whenever I do ... THIS !".

The Doctor looks him over and says, "Well ... Don't do ... THIS !".

April 22, 2010 11:01:41 AM

Alvin Smith said:
What brand and model firewire card ?

What model mobo ?

Does the FW card work ?

... I may have more questions, but answer these, first.


= Alvin =

Joke of the Day:

A guy walks into the Doctor's office and says, "Doc!? ... My left arm really hurts whenever I do ... THIS !".

The Doctor looks him over and says, "Well ... Don't do ... THIS !".

mobo model is the Asrock G31M-S R2.0

the firewire is an ebay item and it has on it 32bit 33mhz

and yes it worked.

the only thing is that it won't shut down

thanks
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
April 22, 2010 11:18:51 AM

Sounds like a driver issue to me.
April 22, 2010 11:27:16 AM

Proximon said:
Sounds like a driver issue to me.

But this is the second firewire card as had one previously before on an old system and made me this so i took it out and said that was faulty now another one was bought and same error.

I think the best thing to do install another pci interface as a modem or ethernet card and see if same error persists if yes i think that it might be the motherboard to blame.

Any suggestions??
a b V Motherboard
April 22, 2010 11:46:35 AM

Did you actually go into the power management settings and confirm they were adjusted correctly? You might need to specify the firewire there.

Is this Win 7? Pretty sure none of the PCI cards I saw listed there have win 7 support.

April 22, 2010 12:02:22 PM

Proximon said:
Did you actually go into the power management settings and confirm they were adjusted correctly? You might need to specify the firewire there.

Is this Win 7? Pretty sure none of the PCI cards I saw listed there have win 7 support.


In fact only xp and vista supported there is no windows 7.
yes this system is windows 7 but with the previously version xp same problem occured with the other firewire.

I have not touched the power managment yet.
a b V Motherboard
April 22, 2010 12:08:44 PM

When you change hardware or make BIOS adjustments Win 7 likes to turn off sleep mode. Go into the control panel and find the power management. It's possibly turned off when the card is present.
April 22, 2010 12:28:14 PM

Proximon said:
When you change hardware or make BIOS adjustments Win 7 likes to turn off sleep mode. Go into the control panel and find the power management. It's possibly turned off when the card is present.


I will check on this and see if it comes normal

thanks very much
April 22, 2010 5:58:13 PM


Yeah ... PCI cards don't plug-n-play, without lot's of help. ... It really would help to search for a brand and model# of THAT card ... If I knew that, I could peruse their support resources and research issues and updates. ... I don't think most PCI FW cards can be flash-updated but the system drivers can.

PCIe 1x Firewire800 3-port cards are $50 ... I recommend SIIG (brand).

= Alvin =
!