Sign in with
Your question

Best PC Optical Sound Card for Games and Movies?

Last response: in Components
June 30, 2010 12:03:36 AM

I use pc for gaming and movies. What would be a sweet sound card for my setup?

spec..

HAF 922 Cooler Master AM3 / M4A
AMD Phenom II 965 BE
ATi HD5850 1GB
4GB DDR3-1600
650w psu
Win7 x64

I'm running 40' HD LCD via HDMI and Sound from mobo via Optic Cable.
Whats the best card and sound setup to use?

Thank you.

More about : optical sound card games movies

June 30, 2010 2:20:58 AM

Why use optical? HDMI is far superior for sound and your ATI HD5850 is arguably the best sound card on the market right now.

It has 8 channel audio and support for HD sound, something optical does not. It has support for 16 and 24 bit audio in 44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 sample rates as well.

Just route your 5850 to your receiver and then have the receiver output video the TV.
m
l
July 9, 2010 7:28:54 AM

Indeed. If you have a reciever/set up that accepts HDMI, I'd go that route. If not, I recommend the X-Fi Titanium. I've had one in my rig for over a year now and it is connected to my surround sound- it sounds great, especially for movies.
m
l
Related resources
July 16, 2010 1:14:27 PM

oh w8 , i dont think the OP has a receiver.
m
l
July 16, 2010 3:38:22 PM

I agree that you can easily run HDMI output, but a sound card does have benefits.
The X-Fi Titanium is a decent card, good for the price. If you want something very good either an AuzenTech HD HomeTheater or an ASUS Xonar D2X are good choices. If you have a high end receiver, you'll want a card with DTS/DD encoding so that the receiver can do the decoding. On a mediocre receiver (or non) then the minimum would do. In that case an XFi Titanium or Xonar D2X are good. AuzenTech Bravura is a step up from there, and then the Forte is a bit better.
m
l
July 16, 2010 7:01:31 PM

wolfram23 said:
I agree that you can easily run HDMI output, but a sound card does have benefits.
The X-Fi Titanium is a decent card, good for the price. If you want something very good either an AuzenTech HD HomeTheater or an ASUS Xonar D2X are good choices. If you have a high end receiver, you'll want a card with DTS/DD encoding so that the receiver can do the decoding. On a mediocre receiver (or non) then the minimum would do. In that case an XFi Titanium or Xonar D2X are good. AuzenTech Bravura is a step up from there, and then the Forte is a bit better.

well wat others options are there really??

ye we all pretty much agree on SC encoding and the receiver decoding
m
l
!