rahul247rocks

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
This year 2010 is proving costly for my PC. My specs intel q6600 processor 4 gb cossair ram @ 1066Mhz and 9800gtx+ graphics card with 600W coolermaster PSU. But recentl i purchased Just cause 2 and saw that i am really getting low frames even though the game is playable. So i guess my 9800gtx+ is showing its age now. More games are about to come like crysis 2 , splinter cell conviction etc. So my question is that i wanna stick to Nvidia......which card should i buy. My budget is 450 to 500 dollars. Also should i just wait for the upcomming 300 series of nvidia and get hold of their top one like GTX 395 maybe later this year. also I wanna ask what PSU to buy so that i can be safe for the next 2 years. I hope that my ram, MB, and processor are still powerful to run any game in the next two years. Guys please help me out looks like i m deeply confused what to do!!!!//

randomkid

Distinguished

It is not good to recommend a Video Card without knowing the monitor resolution the OP wants it for. Let us wait for it then we can tell him which video card will be "just right" for it.

randomkid

Distinguished
Sure, you can answer straight away what he can buy with $450-$500. But wouldn't it be better if rather than spend it for something he may or may not need, he spend it on what he surely need + something else that will boost his PC's performance. He also asked for PSU so if that is included in the the budget then its totally different ball game... so let us wait awhile for his answer so that we consider this question from as many angles as possible...

rahul247rocks

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
All you guys i wanna tell that i have not overclocked my CPu and my resolution is 1680*1050!! I really would like to know that i dont know much about overclocking so my sole faith lies in the next gen GPU's especially the 400 series from Nvidia. Plz help

It's a 9800GTX+ and that's still not true just because you repeat it. In games that aren't programmed to be fully multithreaded the processor is equivalent to a dualcore 2.4ghz core2duo which certainly will cause a bottleneck in some of the more CPU intensive games.

randomkid

Distinguished

At 1680x1050, there shouldn't be any bottleneck for the CPU.

FOr CPU, it should be able to play high fps even for crysis and farcry 2.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/53

But 9800gtx might be bottlenecking at some games. For crysis it can only get 12.9 at high setting and 24 at lower setting at your resolution.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-9800gtx-review,1800-7.html

So yeah, get a new VGA but not the nVidia 4XX. The HD5870 will perform equal if not better and will be cooler and consume less energy which will be cheaper in the long run....
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5870,2422-13.html

rahul247rocks

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Listen guys i think that my cpu is fine cause in GTA 4 with everything set to max and textured maxed at what 9800gtx+ can support i get 50 to 60 FPS. So i think Cpu si not an issue as most games never even demand a quad core in the recommended settings. So i stick with my CPU as of now and will surely upgrade to i7 or the latest from intel later this year. Meanwhile my sole concern lies with GPU ............... SECONDLY u guys r thinking i am getting very poor performence but mind you thats not the case at all. because i just wanted to clarify whats my next GPU buy should be. MY PC is brand new almost 6 months(max)) and my CPU gives me superb performence in rendering and processing and even gaming. What is actually scaring me are the TRAILERS OF THE UPCOMMING GAMES!!! SO PLZ DONT SCARE ME WITH MY CPU THING!! AND I DONT WANNA OVERCLOCK IT AS I WILL GET VERY LESS RESELLL VALUE LATER ON!!! A GODD GPU SUGGESTION IS ALL I NEED AND by the way what is bottleneck??

randomkid

Distinguished
Cool down, kid... don't use Capital letters cause it looks like you are shouting at us. If you read above your post you should see my post saying your CPU is fine. And I already recommended your next GPU should be and even gave you links on it... So go ahead and buy it as soon as you are able to save up the money for it...

BUT IF I BUY IT NOW THEN RESALE VALUE WILL BE VERY ABD AND WHAT IS A BOTTLECK?

IS IT WHAT KEEPS MY BEAR IN IT'S BOTTLE AND LET'S ME DRINK IT?