Troubleshooting a dead Dell Latitude CPIa

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
September 20, 2004 6:59:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hello all,

I just turned on my trusty old Dell CPiA (PIII 366 MGHz)
notebook the other day and got NADA.... Green light on the
power switch goes on for about 10 seconds and goes out. No
noises, no attempts to boot, nothing at all.

I'm trying to figure out a way to troubleshoot this and make a
judgment as to whether it's worth fixing or just start shopping
for a replacment. This notebook is perfectly adequate for my
needs--I just use it for the occasional trip out of town and for
portable internet access via the wireless network at home.

I can't find any reliable repair shops nearby--although in LA
you think there would be a million of them. I called the guys
I used to use in Orange County, but they couldn't be of much
help, so I'm posting here in hopes of finding some direction.

At first I thought I would replace the hard drive and check
that, but now I think even if the hard drive were bad, I would
still get an attempted bootup. If it's the motherboard I
suspect that it's not worth replacing. I paid about $600 for
this computer 3-4 years ago, so I can't imagine it's worth much
now.

But if it is or could be something simple, then it might be
worth fixing.

TIA for any pointers and/or advice.

Stephen Porter
Los Angeles, CA
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 21, 2004 2:15:23 AM

Here are a couple of links that might help.

http://home.comcast.net/~stonent/

http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums/board?board.i...

"Stephen Porter" <stp@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I just turned on my trusty old Dell CPiA (PIII 366 MGHz)
> notebook the other day and got NADA.... Green light on the
> power switch goes on for about 10 seconds and goes out. No
> noises, no attempts to boot, nothing at all.
>
> I'm trying to figure out a way to troubleshoot this and make a
> judgment as to whether it's worth fixing or just start shopping
> for a replacment. This notebook is perfectly adequate for my
> needs--I just use it for the occasional trip out of town and for
> portable internet access via the wireless network at home.
>
> I can't find any reliable repair shops nearby--although in LA
> you think there would be a million of them. I called the guys
> I used to use in Orange County, but they couldn't be of much
> help, so I'm posting here in hopes of finding some direction.
>
> At first I thought I would replace the hard drive and check
> that, but now I think even if the hard drive were bad, I would
> still get an attempted bootup. If it's the motherboard I
> suspect that it's not worth replacing. I paid about $600 for
> this computer 3-4 years ago, so I can't imagine it's worth much
> now.
>
> But if it is or could be something simple, then it might be
> worth fixing.
>
> TIA for any pointers and/or advice.
>
> Stephen Porter
> Los Angeles, CA

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 21, 2004 5:48:53 AM

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Most likely the system board. take everything off that you can, modem,
RAM, battery, hard drive...and unplug the display if you can get inside.
Then, powering with the AC adaptor you will more than likely find the
same result.
I would take a look but Brisbane Australia is some distance from you.

Stephen Porter wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I just turned on my trusty old Dell CPiA (PIII 366 MGHz)
> notebook the other day and got NADA.... Green light on the
> power switch goes on for about 10 seconds and goes out. No
> noises, no attempts to boot, nothing at all.
>
> I'm trying to figure out a way to troubleshoot this and make a
> judgment as to whether it's worth fixing or just start shopping
> for a replacment. This notebook is perfectly adequate for my
> needs--I just use it for the occasional trip out of town and for
> portable internet access via the wireless network at home.
>
> I can't find any reliable repair shops nearby--although in LA
> you think there would be a million of them. I called the guys
> I used to use in Orange County, but they couldn't be of much
> help, so I'm posting here in hopes of finding some direction.
>
> At first I thought I would replace the hard drive and check
> that, but now I think even if the hard drive were bad, I would
> still get an attempted bootup. If it's the motherboard I
> suspect that it's not worth replacing. I paid about $600 for
> this computer 3-4 years ago, so I can't imagine it's worth much
> now.
>
> But if it is or could be something simple, then it might be
> worth fixing.
>
> TIA for any pointers and/or advice.
>
> Stephen Porter
> Los Angeles, CA

a b D Laptop
September 23, 2004 12:19:03 PM

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> Stephen Porter wrote:
> > I just turned on my trusty old Dell CPiA (PIII 366 MGHz)
> > notebook the other day and got NADA.... Green light on the
> > power switch goes on for about 10 seconds and goes out. No
> > noises, no attempts to boot, nothing at all.

You could try replacing the CMOS battery. I have a Thinkpad that had
a dying CMOS battery; at first it would boot but require date/time be
reset. Now it exhibits the same symptoms as your Dell. Don't know if
that will help - if it does, let me know! (Have a CMOS battery for my
IBM, just don't have time to pull it out and pop it in!)

> > At first I thought I would replace the hard drive and check
> > that, but now I think even if the hard drive were bad, I would
> > still get an attempted bootup.

Can you boot from a floppy or CD? I would doubt it, sounds like you
are not even getting to BIOS (no beeps, either?)

> > If it's the motherboard I
> > suspect that it's not worth replacing. I paid about $600 for
> > this computer 3-4 years ago, so I can't imagine it's worth much now.

Working, probably around $180~$230 US depending on the condition and
extras. You might be able to find a good mobo on eBay for cheap, but
that's taking a small chance.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 24, 2004 1:15:20 AM

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

sounds like the dead PSU problem you sometimes have with desktop pc's...

but in laptops it's not that easily replaced! (not 4 screws and a bunch of
connectors)

light on the power switch goes on for a few seconds and then ..."No
> > noises, no attempts to boot, nothing at all."

then again, i don't know know if your laptop has a battery meter.

could the battery be dead from not being able to be charged by the ac
adapter?

does the light go on and off if you just have the ac adapter plugged into
the laptop?

also... have you checked the output of the ac adapter to see if is is
working?
!