PC power LED comes on but doesnt start

mushroomking

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I just took my gpu out of my older pc to put in my new build, and I reinstalled the drivers for its integrated graphics and it was running fine. Then I took out the upgraded power supply I had put in it to run my gpu and put the original 300W back in it. now when I hit power it started up for a split second then died, the power button led stays on and it does nothing when I press it. I had to unplug it from the wall to make it turn off.

Is the motherboard stuck on a voltage setting from having the gpu in it that this psu can not supply? It was only a Thermaltake 430W that I had in it. I'm gonna swap that back in and see what happens.

mushroomking

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Ok I put the 430W psu back in and it fired right up. The card that I had in it was an HD 4650 and it gets its power directly from the motherboard it doesnt accept an external connectors. I assume the mobo changed something in order to run the card, any ideas on what it could be?

Also I unistalled all its drivers. And this was a factory built HP machine so there is very little I can change in the bios.