Solved

Hard Drive Recommendations--not SSD drives

I am about to build a new computer, and I need hard drive (HDD) recommendations (not SSD drives). I need hard drives to place an OS as a second boot option. I already picked up an SSD for the main OS in a dual boot system. So what would it be a good HDD for this second OS? And for storing data from my main OS. I will probably need 2 HDDs; thus, I will need to find a good pair of HDDs and a good deal too. I am undecided about how much storage I need on each HDD. Could they be 500GB or 1TB? Please, help me and thanks for comments and advice.
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about hard drive recommendations drives
  1. I would go with 1Tb Black WD, the Raptors are nice but too expensive (a 600 raptor is twice the price of 1Tb Black).
  2. I think the price/storage ratio favors the 1TB drives. I think WD 1TB Black is good primary drive because of the 64MB cache and 5yr warranty. Another consideration would be Spinpoint F3.
  3. You can use the Caviar Blue series. I would recommend the Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 64MB Cache @ 7200RPM. Or if you are willing to pay more the same but Black. Both will serve you well for your needs.
  4. Personally, I use a 2TB external WD green. Works great.
  5. The green hard drives are meant to data storage, and therefore they use less power and work slower. They are not recommended for a PC
  6. Go for WD Black like others are saying. Great drives, not super pricey like VRs but not total dogs either like greens.
  7. So when we say "WD Cav Black", which one do we mean:

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive -- $119

WD1002FAEX

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive -- $149

WD1001FALS
  8. How come the 64MB Cache is cheaper than the 32MB?
  9. odedgal67 said:
    How come the 64MB Cache is cheaper than the 32MB?

I don't know, except from the Newegg site: the more expensive 32MB disk has an arm that is double jointed, apparently.
  10. What does it mean? Because it seems weird that a slower Hard Drive costs more than a faster one. What is that arm?
  11. Best answer
    If dual booting with one OS on the HD, the Seagate Momentus (17 seconds) will give ya the same boot time as off ya SSD (16 seconds)

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=806&Itemid=60&limit=1&limitstart=7

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148837
  12. Yeah those prices you grabbed seem screwy, I have no idea what's going on with that arm. Anyway, I have the 64MB Sata 3 one, and it's been a really great and solid performer. Although I got it for like $90 a little over 2 years ago. But we all know why that is, but nice to see them finally approaching those same levels. Although honestly don't worry about if it's sata 2 or 3, doesn't really matter on a hdd.
  13. Best answer selected by orestesdd.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives SSD Storage Product