Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help building a PC

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 22, 2010 5:46:30 PM

Hi,
This is the configuration I am considering. What do you guys think? Any suggestions?
Item-Specifications-Price (INR)
Processor-Intel Core i5-750-Rs.10200
Motherboard-Intel BOXDH55HC-Rs.6400
Ram-4GB DDR3 Corsair VS2GB1333D3 (2x2gb)-Rs.5800
PowerSupply-Tagan TG-500-U37-Rs.3050
Hardisk-Seagate 1TB-Rs.4150
Cabinet-COOLER MASTER Elite 310-Rs.1850
DVD writer-Sony-Rs.1200
Kbd Mouse-Logitech MK250 Wireless KeyBoard & Mouse-Rs.1200
Monitor 1-Benq G2420HD-Rs.11350 OR
Monitor 2-Dell S2409W-Rs.12700

Do I need a 500w PSU, or will a 450watt suffice? Also how important is it for me to get a branded one? There are loads of Indian and Chinese made PSUS available in the market, should I even consider them?

Which monitor should I choose among the Benq and the Dell? I do not play games at all, I need the screen real estate for multitasking when it comes to documents and browsers, and ofcourse while watching movies, which I do very often.

Im a newbie, excuse my ignorance. I read that the i5 has an inbuilt GPU, what does that mean? Would I need a graphics card to run the monitor on the motherboard? If so, please suggest an inexpensive one as the build is already costing me quite a bit.

I will be running Windows 7 on the PC.

Cheers,
TheSandman

More about : building

April 22, 2010 8:05:41 PM

Don't get an Intel motherboard. They actually aren't good quality. Get something from Asus or Gigabyte to ensure qualtiy.

You most certainly want a branded PSU. And not just any brands. Get an Antec, Corsair, Silverstone or SeaSonic. The problem with no-name PSUs is that they are poor quality. While they might work, they won't last as long and when they die, they are likely to take other parts with them. It's never a good idea to skimp on the PSU.

As for the size, if you are not using a video card, a 400W or less would be fine. Just make sure it's a quality one.

Finally, SOME i5s have integrated graphics. The i5-750 is not one of them. The integrated graphics chips are the i3-530, i3-540, i5-650 and i5-660. The only one I would recommend is the i3-530. Even then, you will need an H55/H57 motherboard (the name will have H55 or H57 in it) to use them to the full extent.

That said, depending on what you're doing with the machine, you may want to consider getting the i5-750 for it's power and sticking in a very cheap video card to have some video output.
m
0
l
April 22, 2010 8:22:41 PM

Many of your components could be improved. For us to help you, you need to read and fill out form in sticky. Link in my sig.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 23, 2010 5:39:04 AM

Quote:
Don't get an Intel motherboard. They actually aren't good quality. Get something from Asus or Gigabyte to ensure qualtiy.
Finally, SOME i5s have integrated graphics. The i5-750 is not one of them. The integrated graphics chips are the i3-530, i3-540, i5-650 and i5-660. The only one I would recommend is the i3-530. Even then, you will need an H55/H57 motherboard (the name will have H55 or H57 in it) to use them to the full extent.
That said, depending on what you're doing with the machine, you may want to consider getting the i5-750 for it's power and sticking in a very cheap video card to have some video output.


Will look some up, you happen to know a good mobo i could use? Or perhaps a cheap video card? Im not too proficient with whats available, or how to pick something that will suit my usage

I am including a few more details as per the forum format, maybe once you have a look at that you would be in a better position to suggest something?

Here are two mobos i could find:
http://www.theitwares.com/gigabyte-gah55mud2h-1156-inte...
And
http://www.theitwares.com/gigabyte-gah55musb3-1156-inte...



Quote:
You most certainly want a branded PSU. And not just any brands. Get an Antec, Corsair, Silverstone or SeaSonic. The problem with no-name PSUs is that they are poor quality. While they might work, they won't last as long and when they die, they are likely to take other parts with them. It's never a good idea to skimp on the PSU.
As for the size, if you are not using a video card, a 400W or less would be fine. Just make sure it's a quality one.


Noted, thanks!
m
0
l
April 23, 2010 5:42:06 AM

banthracis said:
Many of your components could be improved. For us to help you, you need to read and fill out form in sticky. Link in my sig.


Quote:
Many of your components could be improved. For us to help you, you need to read and fill out form in sticky. Link in my sig.


Sorry i missed it out

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: First week May

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Movies, document work, surfing

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: as specified in the list above

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: http://www.theitwares.com OR ebay.in

PARTS PREFERENCES: None

OVERCLOCKING: No
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920 x 1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I work as a freelance writer, so will be doing a lot of work on word files, followed by watching movies and surfing. Occasional photoshop and flash usage. It should be mentioned that my current PC is on almost all the time (im either using it, or i have some downloads queued up) The build is costing me about 50,000INR, which is quite bit; I'm open to better components provided the price difference is justified.
m
0
l
April 23, 2010 8:25:42 AM

Keve said:
Quote:

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Movies, document work, surfing
Quote:

Err i would go this route:

AthlonII X4 630
890GX mobo (and make full use of the integrated HD 4290) and since April 26th is within your time frame an 880G which will be even more appropriate since u non gamer hehe
Nice 500GB HDD like Samsung F3/Seagate 7200.12
4GB DDR3 1333 (1600 if not paying ridiculous premium)
definitely a 400+ watter 80 plus certified PSU for peace of mind 24/7 ops :ouch: 
m
0
l
April 27, 2010 5:19:29 AM

batuchka said:
Err i would go this route:

AthlonII X4 630
890GX mobo (and make full use of the integrated HD 4290) and since April 26th is within your time frame an 880G which will be even more appropriate since u non gamer hehe
Nice 500GB HDD like Samsung F3/Seagate 7200.12
4GB DDR3 1333 (1600 if not paying ridiculous premium)
definitely a 400+ watter 80 plus certified PSU for peace of mind 24/7 ops :ouch: 


Thanks! :) 

Pardon my ignorance, just trying to confirm if iv understood you.

The 890gx mobo has inbuilt HD capability and will support the resolution and work well with a 24inch hd monitor? no graphiocs card needed?

i didnt get the part about 26th april :cry: 

Any other AMD processors worth considering? maybe something a lil faster perhaps?

PS: it might be worth mentioning that i rarely shut down my pc.. maybe a few restarts once a month, but its barely ever switched off.. so i can absolutely not afford any components that run hot
m
0
l
April 27, 2010 9:00:28 AM

Nope no discrete needed unless you get bitten by gaming bug :p  Thats the release date for the incoming 800 series mobos Well movies. document work, movies u can even make do with a dual core or triple core to be honest with ya....
m
0
l
April 28, 2010 5:08:08 AM

Cool, thanks for all the help :) 

should i be worried about the AMD heating up with extended usage? that was the only reason i was considering an intel
m
0
l
April 28, 2010 11:19:19 AM

Back in the days of old i.e Durons in 2000 but then again that was 10 years ago hehe
m
0
l
!