booseek

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
ASUS P7P55D-E LX
Core i5-750
XFX Radeon 5870
4/8 GB Corsair DDR 3 (TW3X4G1333C9A G)
Windows 7 Pro 64

When loading up a replay in StarCraft II, I kept getting a "memory management" BSOD right before it loaded, or during the viewing of it. I ran Memtest86+ with all four sticks installed and got 100+ errors (maybe even a lot more, I forget by now). I then proceeded to test one stick at a time, all in the same slot, with zero errors by the end of the four passes. I then put in my original two, in the two original slots, and tested that with no errors as well. I originally had two sticks (4GB) when I first built my computer back in May, adding two more identical sticks about a month ago. I had not had any BSODs due to memory until now, though I never tested the two new sticks before today.

What should I be concerned with? Are the slots to blame? Is it possible that these two new sticks/slots are configured improperly in the BIOS (which may explain why they pass individually, but not once they are all installed, since they are using different slots)?

Now, I'm not sure if the memory is to blame for the SC2 BSODs (since the game did say that the installation was corrupt just today), but I'm now simply concerned with the failed tests once I have all four sticks installed.

Solution
1333 9-9-9-24 @ 1.5v

Tested Corsair RAM http://www2.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=1498755

Well right off the bat your TW3X4G1333C9A G is not on the QVL or Tested lists which isn't a good sign; compatibility issue.

Lets try a couple BIOS tweaks:
Slots:
CPU: | E | R | E | R | ; R = RAM stick
AI OC Tuner -> Auto
DRAM Frequency - > DDR3-1333MHz
DRAM Timing Control {enter}
/CAS 9-9-9-24
/DRAM Timing Mode -> 2N
DRAM Voltage -> 1.50~1.55v
IMC Voltage -> 1.2~1.25v

Save & Exit.
---
edit:
---
Since I'm stooping for the night, if the 2X2GB works via Memtest then add the second set.

Upon Failure:
DRAM Voltage -> 1.55~1.60v
IMC Voltage -> 1.25~1.30v

--
FAILURE:
--
Upon FAILURE RMA the RAM and use the Corsair Tested List...
1333 9-9-9-24 @ 1.5v

Tested Corsair RAM http://www2.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=1498755

Well right off the bat your TW3X4G1333C9A G is not on the QVL or Tested lists which isn't a good sign; compatibility issue.

Lets try a couple BIOS tweaks:
Slots:
CPU: | E | R | E | R | ; R = RAM stick
AI OC Tuner -> Auto
DRAM Frequency - > DDR3-1333MHz
DRAM Timing Control {enter}
/CAS 9-9-9-24
/DRAM Timing Mode -> 2N
DRAM Voltage -> 1.50~1.55v
IMC Voltage -> 1.2~1.25v

Save & Exit.
---
edit:
---
Since I'm stooping for the night, if the 2X2GB works via Memtest then add the second set.

Upon Failure:
DRAM Voltage -> 1.55~1.60v
IMC Voltage -> 1.25~1.30v

--
FAILURE:
--
Upon FAILURE RMA the RAM and use the Corsair Tested List above. Or per a prior Corsair Ticket:
"Corsair Technical Support The CMP8GX3M2A1600C9 should be fully compatible with the P7P55D motherboard. Many of our 4GB module kits are fairly new and have not yet made it to our memory configurator, but these parts are definitely tested to run on the P55 chipset. 11/5/2010 7:40:21 PM"

2X4GB is the most efficient for your MOBO, and leaves the option open for adding more RAM down the road.

Solution

Zenthar

Distinguished
What is the timing, speed and voltage you are running your memory at?

The rating companies will give is for the kit alone, if you put 2 together (4 DIMMs) you might have to increase voltage and/or relax timing (you can usually keep the speed).

booseek

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010

But even if it is not on the tested list, isn't it strange that Memtest shows zero errors on each stick, on two sticks, but quite a few on 4 sticks?

By the way, I'm running on stock settings, exactly as specified by the manufacturer according to BIOS. It is running in those slots, (E | R | E | R), with those timings, 1.5v, etc., and those two sticks work perfectly. It is only when it is 4 sticks (R | R | R | R) that I get those errors. I will try bumping up the voltages just a little tomorrow with 4 sticks installed, using those same timings.

Maybe I should see if a newer BIOS is available that adds support for new RAM modules, though these sticks are from May (same model as the first two sticks).

ZENTHAR - What would a relaxed timing look like for 8 GB of this RAM if it is intended to run at 9-9-9-24?

Zenthar

Distinguished
Each module could be different, a bit like CPUs when you OC. Worst case scenario would probably be 10-10-10-30, but you can try mixes like 9-10-9-24 and the like. First try to raise voltage.

Bad analogy but you'll get the idea -> Think of it like suckling pigs if there not enough milk there'll be a runt, and sometimes runts get sick from lack of nutrition. If there's not enough power for 4 sticks of RAM the BIOS thinks there's a problem and shuts-down the RAM to prevent errors/damage. Therefore, a slight increase to either or both the DRAM Voltage and/or IMC Voltage makes the RAM have sufficient power to operate properly. The most difficult RAM to run is 4X or 6X DIMMs and even more so as the density {2GB->4GB+} increases.

Your situation 'screams' insufficient power. My settings above a ALL within the norms or even on the low side; voltage = heat.

I doubt the BIOS is the problem especially with 2GB RAM, but often 4GB RAM does require a BIOS flash.

Q - What is the BIOS version?

booseek

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Thanks to everyone who replied. The issue is fixed.

I have always been on stock settings (9-9-9-24, 1333, 2N, 1.5V, AIOC on auto), and have been using the 1003 bios (the one that fixes certain memory comparability issues). I bumped up the DRAM voltage to 1.56 and the IMC voltage to 1.26 and ran Memtest86+ on four sticks with no errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.