Sign in with
Your question

PC keeps cutting out. No BSOD. If you fix this you can have my child.

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Blue Screen
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
April 22, 2010 6:05:58 PM

Hey there, I've been a bit of a lurker, and haven't really felt the need to join until I was plagued by a problem that had hit my new build as of late. I assumed it would be an easy fix and so I've searched through looking for a solution but no one has had anything by way of a cure. My pc works for awhile, then ever so often it just cuts out. With no explanation. No BSOD. I bought another PSU thinking that it must be power related, but alas, no luck.

Processor: Intel Core i5-750 Quad Core
Motherboard: Gigabyte P55 LGA1156
Graphics Card: XFX ATI Radeon HD 4770
Ram: Kingston 2gb 1600mhz Ddr3 x2
PSU: Antec Basiq Plus 550W
Hard drive: Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATAII

How would I begin to troubleshoot do you think? Or do you know any fixes for this that may help?

Thanks for your time, I welcome any and all ideas :) 

- Lite.

More about : cutting bsod fix child

a b B Homebuilt system
April 22, 2010 6:21:36 PM

Yikes. this sounds exactly like the PSU problems I had. My next guess would be that something is shorting your motherboard. Is there a loose screw or something floating around between the motherboard and the motherboard tray??? wild guess.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 22, 2010 6:41:52 PM

What are your idle/load CPU temps? The system could be overheating and shutting down to prevent damage to the CPU. Have you noticed any slowdowns lately?
Related resources
April 22, 2010 7:08:55 PM

Thanks for the quick replies guys, there's nothing between the board and the case. But thanks that was something I should have checked. Is there anything in the bios I could tweak?

Also all temps are below 31C when it happens, I use speed fan while trying to find out the error. The event viewer is of no use either...
a b B Homebuilt system
April 22, 2010 7:10:39 PM

Did you install the standoffs between the motherboard and case? Are you sure there are no standoffs installed that don't line up with a hole in the motherboard?
April 22, 2010 7:20:18 PM

Just double checked, they're all in the correct position. I've noticed that while streaming video it seems to occur faster the freeze up.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 22, 2010 7:25:21 PM

What PSU did you buy to test the system with? When a system just shuts down as if somebody pulled the plug it's nearly always the PSU to blame. That is weird that it happened with two PSU's, though. :/ 
a b B Homebuilt system
April 22, 2010 7:25:49 PM

They're all in the correct position, but are you sure that none are installed in spots that aren't being used? For instance, you install all the standoffs for an ATX board, but maybe have one or two installed in a slot for a microATX board so it's behind your motherboard but you can't see it. Maybe this is causing the short?
April 22, 2010 7:29:46 PM

It's an Antec Basic 550 plus. Found a rogue screw and it's stop crashing like so. New problem though. When streaming video it's start to freeze and lock up. Ctrl + alt +del doesn't work, niether does alt+tab. Sound just makes static noises and what not
a b B Homebuilt system
April 22, 2010 7:31:52 PM

Freezing problems are often RAM related. Which exact RAM kit do you have? Did you manually set the RAM speed, timings, and voltage to the correct values in the BIOS? Have you run an overnight Memtest86+ test to check for RAM errors? Those are the first two things I'd do.
April 22, 2010 7:31:56 PM

Thanks again for your help by the way.
April 22, 2010 8:04:02 PM

It's a Crucial 2gb ddr3 stick. Not sure what settings I should have and the voltage
a b B Homebuilt system
April 22, 2010 8:05:04 PM

Wait, in your original post it said you had Kingston RAM. I'm confused. :pt1cable: 

The RAM should have a sticker on it that lists its rated speed, timings, and voltage. It should also have a model number. It would help to have the model # so we could look up the specs.
April 22, 2010 8:18:05 PM

Yeah I thought it was...sorry haha. Uh on the sticker it says:

BV111M .5k
2gb 240
Pin dimm 256MX64 DRR3 PC3
CT25664BA 1339.M16SFD.

If you can make heads or tails of that, that'd be rather handy
a b B Homebuilt system
April 22, 2010 8:24:02 PM

I believe this is your RAM.

http://www.micron.com/products/partdetail?part=MT41J128...

It looks like it is DDR3 1333 CAS 9 RAM that runs at 1.5v. You shouldn't have to manually set the values in the BIOS for that RAM. I would perform an overnight run of Memtest86+ to check for RAM errors. If you get ANY errors, I would contact Crucial for an RMA.

You can download Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org and burn the ISO image to a CD. You then boot from the CD and the RAM test will start by itself. It's best to let it run for at least 8 hours.
April 22, 2010 8:32:39 PM

It's the one in the newegg link. I've not touched the clock settings in the slightest as I haven't had it run successfully yet. I'll try burning the ISO and doing a memtest. I'll post once I've done that
!