Solved

Budget Build

Budget: $700-$800 without keyboard, mouse, monitor, os.

I pretty much just followed the march system builders $750 machine but after reading over it is seems like it is more for overclocking, and unfortunately this machine won't be overclocked as it's school first, gaming second for my friend.
MoBo:GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H - $120
CPU:AMD Athlon II X3 435 - $75 or Athlon II X4 635 -$120
GPU:XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 - $169 or HIS H487Q1GH Radeon HD 4870 - $170 or 2x SAPPHIRE 100245HDMI Radeon HD 4850 - $200 (needs HDMI)
RAM:G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - $110
Case:Antec Three Hundred Illusion - $70
PSU:CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W - $85
DVD:LG DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS50 - $24
HDD:Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB - $75

Total 5770: $728 ($773 athlon II x4)
Total 4870: $729 ($774 athlon II x4)
Total 4850: $759 ($804 athlon II x4)
20 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about budget build
  1. Best answer
    Here's a good combo with a 5770 that's $10 cheaper and the same RAM just with CAS 7.

ASUS 5770 + G. Skill Ripjaws 2x2gb CAS 7

Also, you could save some cash by switching that HDD to this Samsung Spinpoint F3, it just has 140 gigs of less memory. But it costs about $20 less.

This motherboard also has pretty much the same features, just for about $5 less and free shipping.

ASUS M4A78T-E

Or if you're set on getting the X4 CPU you could combo them and save another $15.

ASUS M4A78T-E + Ahtlon II X4 635

Here's another good combo with the case and ODD you chose.

Antec 300 + LG DVD Burner

Or if you're looking to go somewhat cheaper here's another.

Antec 300 + LITE-ON DVD burner
  2. Here's another combo deal to save $10:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.378110 $83.98 (Antec 300 Illusion + SATA LG DVD burner combo)
  3. Wow, how do I miss all these awesome deals? so with those deals we are looking at:
    $704 for the 5770. Is that what I should look at doing?
    Is there anything on here that is lacking in what I want?
  4. shortstuff_mt said:
    Here's another combo deal to save $10:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.378110 $83.98 (Antec 300 Illusion + SATA LG DVD burner combo)

You got it in while I was editing my post. xD
  5. Yes, I would go with the 5770. You could spend a little of the money saved by the above combo deals on a higher wattage PSU if you want to leave Crossfire as an option. Here's another combo to consider:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.369093 $244.98 - $20 MIR (Antec EarthWatts EA750 + ASUS CuCore Series EAH5770 combo)

That would mean you couldn't use the GPU + RAM combo mentioned above, but this combo discount is $20 vs. $15 for the GPU + RAM combo.
  6. shortstuff_mt said:
    Yes, I would go with the 5770. You could spend a little of the money saved by the above combo deals on a higher wattage PSU if you want to leave Crossfire as an option. Here's another combo to consider:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.369093 $244.98 - $20 MIR (Antec EarthWatts EA750 + ASUS CuCore Series EAH5770 combo)

That would mean you couldn't use the GPU + RAM combo mentioned above, but this combo discount is $20 vs. $15 for the GPU + RAM combo.

So when going crossfire do I need identical cards? or do they just have to both be 5770's or how does it work exactly? (never crossfired before)
    Also with that combo it goes up $10 in price for the better PSU which I assume is what I should do anyways.
  7. Yes, I would spend the extra $10 to have the option of adding another card later if needed. The cards don't have to be identical to work in Crossfire, you would just need another 5770.
  8. Hereya go. SLI/Crossfire

Or, if you're inna hurry...

What about brands ?
    Well the brand doesnt matter , again for example , you can use a XFX card with a EVGA card , or a SAPPHIRE card with a DIAMOND card , just make sure they have the same memory and same clocks.
  9. 143miah said:
    Hereya go. SLI/Crossfire

Or, if you're inna hurry...

What about brands ?
    Well the brand doesnt matter , again for example , you can use a XFX card with a EVGA card , or a SAPPHIRE card with a DIAMOND card , just make sure they have the same memory and same clocks.

Awesome thanks, I'll read over it when I have a few hours ;)
  10. Alright, So I was looking at charts and the 2x 4850s seem to do almost as good as 2x 5770s, for $120 less. What are the advantages/disadvantages of 2x 4850 vs 1x 5770?
  11. JB4times4 said:
    Alright, So I was looking at charts and the 2x 4850s seem to do almost as good as 2x 5770s, for $120 less. What are the advantages/disadvantages of 2x 4850 vs 1x 5770?

While the 4850s may perform just as good, or better. The 5770 has DX11. However, cards still seem to be having trouble with DX11 still, from what I've read anyway.

Also, some games may not support crossfire or don't scale well with crossfire.

If it were up to me I'd go with the 5XXX card just for DX11 and having to only use one card.
  12. In addition to the DX11 and scaling issues mentioned, other benefits to a single card would be:

1. Lower power consumption
    2. Lower temperatures
    3. Less noise
    4. You still have an upgrade path (Going with two cards right off the bat eliminates your upgrade options)
  13. How hard is it to setup a raid 1 using the mobo in the combo pack? the asus one.

[EDIT]
    Nevermind his dad won't let him, says he prefers manual backup :lol:
  14. JB4times4 said:
    How hard is it to setup a raid 1 using the mobo in the combo pack? the asus one.

[EDIT]
    Nevermind his dad won't let him, says he prefers manual backup :lol:

Was trying to find an article on how to do it, but nevermind I guess. xD

You'd also need a second HDD if you didn't know.
  15. Ya, for the extra $55 I figured it would be worth it to a college student right? don't want to lose your month long paper
  16. JB4times4 said:
    Ya, for the extra $55 I figured it would be worth it to a college student right? don't want to lose your month long paper

True that. I always just save papers like that in my e-mail though, lol. Free storage space = win
  17. Best answer selected by JB4times4.
  18. We will! Always fun, but this makes me cry that my comp is so bad so I'm starting a new thread to figure out what my options are!
    Thanks again for your guys help!
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build HD Systems Product