Sign in with
Your question

CPU Cooler - What fits?

Last response: in CPUs
June 30, 2010 6:06:05 AM

My goal in building my new comp is to have it run quiet and cool. I have only ordered some pieces, and before ordering the rest I need to ask a question about space. My build will include an Antec 902 case with ASUS P6X58D-E motherboard, G.Skill PI Series 3 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM. I will list more of my components if I learn it is relevant to my question.

So my question is about aftermarket CPU coolers. I've been reading that the RAM I'm gonna get has huge heat spreaders and that it doesn't fit w/ some heatsinks. I've also been reading that the heatsink I was hoping to get, the Zalman CNPS10X Extreme, is outrageously gigantic. So the question is what CPU Cooler should I get if I want a really good and quiet one but need it to actually fit in with that RAM and whatever else. Is it possible to somehow fit the Zalman heatsink and G.Skill PI Series RAM into an Antec 902, even if you have to modify something?

More about : cpu cooler fits

Related resources
July 5, 2010 9:22:54 PM

On Newegg Reviews people are saying that the Tuniq Tower 120 is hard to fit in a mid size case...? Do you or does anyone have an Antec 902 with the G.Skill RAM and an aftermarket CPU cooler?

First and foremost it has to fit. Secondly it has to cool well. Third it should be at least quieter than Intel's stock heatsink. In that order. Thanks.
a c 117 à CPUs
July 5, 2010 10:26:12 PM

I have a 902 with Corsair Dominator ram and a Thermalright MUX-120 which is roughly the same size as a CM Hyper 212+.
The Corsair ram is taller then Ripjaws and the HS is 160mm tall.
Everything fits just don't plan on using the 902's sidefan.
I have another rig with Ripjaws and a CM Hyper 212+ in a CM 690II no issues with fit.
Just make sure your cooler isn't taller then 161mm and doesn't overhang dimm slots.
You shouldn't have an issue with your ram height if you do most coolers will allow you to slide the fan up a bit.
As long as you don't get something monstrous you should be fine.
good article that includes dimm slot intrusion measurements
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lga-1156-heatsink,2...
July 6, 2010 4:18:36 AM

So I've done a lot more reading and determined that I'm going to go with the CM Hyper 212+ as it seems to be the best bang for your buck and fits better in smaller configurations. Thanks for the help, guys. I appreciate it.
!