Gaming build - i3-530 or X3 440?

mgkunkel

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: (2-4 wks) BUDGET RANGE: 600-800 After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: (gaming, creating DVDs from camcorder, internet)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: (GPU, Case)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: (newegg.com, Microcenter) COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: (US)

PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type (Completely open)

OVERCLOCKING: No SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: (Full HD)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: First build, first post

Question: Which cpu/mobo
I had a nice AMD put together when Microcenter thru a wrench into my plans. Given gaming is the primary use, is an i3-530 better than a triple-core 440?

I can get the i3 with H55 mobo from Microcenter for $189 + tax.
i3
H55

As a combo I can get the X3 and Biostar 790 for $142 (free s/h, no tax)
X3 440 with Biostar 790 combo

Do I really gain that much with the i3, that it justifies another 60 bucks?

I would appreciate any other cpu/mobo suggestions as well. If I get the X3, I want to try and unlock the 4th core, but not overclock.

Planned purchases
(I prefer single rail) $60:Silverstone 500W
g.skill ram $109: ram
Remainder: any sale on a good 500 gb HDD (~$55), dvd writer (~$25), Win7 Pro (~$130, I need the xp virtual win).

Purchased to date
Antec Illusion 300 ($57): Antec Illusion 300
Powercolor 4850 ($102) :4850

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Even with hyper threading and turbo boost it's hard to justify, a dual core over a triple core. I would actually recommend the AMD build, over the intel in this situation. In most games you'll benefit from another core, the fourth core not so much. And if you don't plan on overclocking then the i3 530 isn't going to have any real advantage. Besides the extra $60 could be pocketed or used to beef up the rest of the system

Overclocking is where the i3 shines, I've heard 4ghz is easy on them, and they do it with practically no voltage increase. I would still suggest considering overclocking even with the amd setup. On modern computer overclocking risks are to a minimum, and it doesn't take a genius to get the free performance(minus the electric bill) that comes with it

mgkunkel

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
Just did, thanks for posting that. Tough call. some of the benchmarks I've seen show the X3 faster, but guess it depends on the application.

How about from this angle: i3 or X3 for a secondary use of running tv thru it?

Also, is one more future-proofed? I've read that the hexcore will fit the am3 board, which may be as good a plopping an i7 chip in the intel, when I upgrade in a few years.

Thanks!

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009

More than likely the AM3 Will be more future proof then the 1156 line of mobos. Your guaranteed a hexacore with a bios update I haven't heard of any additional cpus that will come out for the 1156 on the other hand

As for running a tv tuner, either will be fine. Really any modern cpu will be able to superbly run as casual application, like internet music, videos. The only common programs that will see speed ups, will be virus scanners, and maybe disk defrags, and of course folding at home =]]