Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Intel Sandy Bridge processors

Last response: in CPUs
Share
June 30, 2010 6:22:44 AM

Intel is releasing an entirely new CPU micro-architecture known as the 8-core "Sandy Bridge" in 2011. Did I buy my Core i7 too late? Should I have waited about a year or so for the Sandy Bridge? Will this family of processors be named the Core i9 or i10? Approximately how much faster are these processors than the current Nehalems?

Do any real Sandy Bridge benchmarks exist?
a c 133 à CPUs
June 30, 2010 6:27:10 AM

Ok first off your I7 purchase was a good move as far as performance goes you will be good for a few years at least. Sandy bridge as far as I know its main advantages will be low power consumption and smaller size. Nobody knows what it will be called and no benchmarks will be known for at least a year.
m
0
l
June 30, 2010 6:29:15 AM

saaiello said:
Ok first off your I7 purchase was a good move as far as performance goes you will be good for a few years at least. Sandy bridge as far as I know its main advantages will be low power consumption and smaller size. Nobody knows what it will be called and no benchmarks will be known for at least a year.


The Sandy Brdige will not make the Core i7 utterly obsolete performance-wise? Like the Pentium 4 to the Core 2?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 133 à CPUs
June 30, 2010 6:33:21 AM

ambam said:
The Sandy Brdige will not make the Core i7 utterly obsolete performance-wise? Like the Pentium 4 to the Core 2?

Nope the I7 will not be obsolete for some years. The reason why the P4's went out so bad to the Core 2 line is because P4's were bad from the start.
m
0
l
June 30, 2010 7:12:49 AM

saaiello said:
Nope the I7 will not be obsolete for some years. The reason why the P4's went out so bad to the Core 2 line is because P4's were bad from the start.


When do you think applications, especially games, will need more than Four CPU cores to run efficiently? What is currently the most CPU-intensive PC game?

Back during the days of the old single-core Pentium 4's, the Athlon 64's smoked the P4's in all benchmarks. Do you think AMD will ever make another chip which will completely outperform Intel's?
m
0
l
a c 103 à CPUs
June 30, 2010 9:10:45 AM

ambam said:
When do you think applications, especially games, will need more than Four CPU cores to run efficiently? What is currently the most CPU-intensive PC game?

Back during the days of the old single-core Pentium 4's, the Athlon 64's smoked the P4's in all benchmarks. Do you think AMD will ever make another chip which will completely outperform Intel's?

Most games currently only utilise 2 or 3 cores. As for AMDs comeback I think next year will be there best chance Bulldozer (there new chips) are tipped to be great its a mater of if Intels sandy bridge will be better still or not and what the pricing will be like. As for the current market its a shame AMD can't match the i5 750 or i7 930 with there quads as there no need to compete with anything above as the price just gets silly.
m
0
l
!