Sign in with
Your question

AMD 955 BE ---am i on fire ??

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 30, 2010 8:05:25 AM

Hi ...Gigabyte Mobo MA790XT-UD4P - AMD 955BE quad core (no overclocking) 8G ram..... running Prime95 for about 1 minutes takes me to 60C ....using Arctic5 TIM.....is this normal.....I will be pasting it with IC Diamond over the weekend in case I have air bubbles or an unhealthy surface.

In the BIOS there are options to report at 70c or even 80c , does that imply the CPU will survive that or is that a generic setting in the BIOS ??

Frank

More about : amd 955 fire

a c 103 à CPUs
a b À AMD
June 30, 2010 8:15:20 AM

I don't think its unsafe but I think theres something wrong. My unlocked (quad) and overclocked (3.55GHz) 550BE only hits around 51c on the board sensor which is around 7-10c higher than the core temps. I am using a Coolmaster hyper TX3 but I can't see it making that much difference even if you don't take into account the overclock/voltage increase.
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2010 1:52:13 PM

I also use a 955BE and OC'd to 3.6 Ghz it doesn't reach 60C (only high 50's)

60C within a minute is only abnormal if you're in a cold climate and the CPU starts at 30C right after boot up.

Check your vcore (should not be more than 1.37v. You also might have put too much thermal paste.
Related resources
June 30, 2010 9:24:27 PM

hundredislandsboy said:
I also use a 955BE and OC'd to 3.6 Ghz it doesn't reach 60C (only high 50's)

60C within a minute is only abnormal if you're in a cold climate and the CPU starts at 30C right after boot up.

Check your vcore (should not be more than 1.37v. You also might have put too much thermal paste.

Thanks for the reply. I have ordered some IC Diamond Thermal paste so hopefully I will remove the applied Arctic5 ...I guess it may have a bit too much paste at present or got some air bubbles as I applied it flat using a credit card and not a blob in the centre as some suggest.

My Vcore were never above 1.35 the default value ....at the moment I reduced the core speed to 2G from 3.2G and the Vcore to 1.25V so that it does not get stressed .....when I ran prime it was never above 55C at that speed but I will try it again after I give it a good cleanout and the new TIM.

You say your 955BE has been OC to 3.6....have you tried any stress tests at that speed. That would be useful to know.

Thanks for the feedback.

Frank :bounce: 
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2010 10:01:22 PM

my 955BE OC'd to 3.6 Ghz w/ Cooler Master Hyper 212 is completely stable stressed with Prime95, Cinebench, 3DMark06, runs all to complete, 30 min or 2 hours a 1.37 vcore and peak temps at 59 (with the side panel removed) but goes to 62, 63 with panel on (three hard drives heat up the generic case)
July 1, 2010 7:04:54 AM

Thanks for the info ...I am waiting for the new paste to arrive and then will take it apart and re paste.
Frank
July 1, 2010 8:50:33 AM

fxv300 said:
Hi ...Gigabyte Mobo MA790XT-UD4P - AMD 955BE quad core (no overclocking) 8G ram..... running Prime95 for about 1 minutes takes me to 60C ....using Arctic5 TIM.....is this normal.....I will be pasting it with IC Diamond over the weekend in case I have air bubbles or an unhealthy surface.

In the BIOS there are options to report at 70c or even 80c , does that imply the CPU will survive that or is that a generic setting in the BIOS ??

Frank

I have the same processor, and let me tell you: the stock cooler is just terrible. At my house with ambient temp 20C, 1 minute of prime95 would shoot it up to 65C (Not overclocked at the time). If your system is more than 3 months old, try cleaning it with an air compressor can (though I prefer actual big air compressors more) Also, be sure the case flow inside the case is adequate.

Also, those are nonspecific BIOS options. The max rated temp for the Phenom ii x4 955 BE is 62C. I would feel fine with it up to 68C, but ever since I got a third party cooler, even at 3.81GHz and 1.425V, the temp never reaches 60C
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2010 2:55:07 PM

Actually that's normal with the stock cooler. Also, if you don't have good case ventilation that just makes things worse :D . Anyway, if you have the C2 version of the chip you shouldn't trust the readings from the CPU thermal diode. Most C2 chips, save the 965BE and a few before the C3 revision, did not have properly calibrated thermal diodes and thus reported all sorts of weird numbers. The motherboard diode, a temp sensor right beneath the CPU, is a bit more reliable in that case.
July 1, 2010 9:45:42 PM

That is interesting about the CPU diode.....my version says RB-C2 (via AMD Overdrive) so I guess I have a C2 CPU. Just looking at my temps, My SYSTEMP1 is 36C Whilst my CPU Core is 45 as an example....not doing anything major at present with the multiplier at X12 instead of X16. Just received the IC Diamnd paste and I'll take the CPU out and clean it ...hopefully will try and not damage any pins as they can be bent easily. One thing which puzzles me is why the temp shoots up sometimes by about 10C so quickly when going from idle to full load ...you would think it would be a slow increase....

Ah we'll see what happens after the IC Diamond
Frank
July 4, 2010 5:11:41 PM

OK ...took the Cooler & CPU out yesterday and gave them a good clean.Then pasted with !C Diamond (pea sized blob in the centre of CPU).
This has improved matters significantly ...wheras previously my system used to go over 62C with Prime95 after about 50 seconds now I did a test for 10 minutes and that survived and did not go over 57C.
I enclose a graph from OCCT

Not 100% sure at the conclusion but I have lowered CPU voltage to 1.25V and set the spped to 3G and that works a treat for everything.

Frank
!