Is my Hard Drive dead?

mrjaffa

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Hi guys.

I have a few drives in my PC and one which is 2 TB in my Popcorn C200 media streamer which crashed recently and wouldn't load with the drive connected. I tried different cables but still nothing.

I have put the drive into my PC and the BIOS does not recognize it, nor does Gparted. When I do plug into the PC I do hear it power up and can feel it also, but after a few minutes it seems to go silent.

The drive is EXT2 I think as the Popcron is Linux based, but I have used software in the past - EXT2IFS which would normally allow me to read the drive from the PC. But it's just not being recognized.

Does it sound dead? It's strange that it seems to power up and then stop. I'm desperate to save the data on there and I've only had this drive a few months. It's a WD20EARS and did cost rather a lot.

Any ideas anyone?

mrjaffa

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
One thing I have read about faulty drives is the clicking noise they make, so i was aware of that, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

:-/

mrjaffa

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Hey again.

I had an idea as I have three of the exact same drives. I replaced the PCB on the drive not working with one from a working drive. Popped it in the C200 and this time it loads up but there is no hard drive to access. And when I put it into the PC, it is recognised by the BIOS this time but on start up says 4th Master Hard Disk Error and it's not even recognised by Gparted.

:-(

TRENDING THREADS