Sign in with
Your question

Whats AHCI mode?

Last response: in Systems
April 22, 2010 9:12:15 PM

so i just built my first pc and i get a question before it asks for the os cd. "do you want to run sata controller in AHCI mode or keep it in IDE mode. IDE mode doesn't support hot plug.

what are the benefits of running the drive in AHCI? IDE mode?

Whats hot plug?

More about : whats ahci mode

April 22, 2010 9:17:09 PM

A Google search for "IDE vs AHCI" would answer all your questions so I'll give you the short answer. AHCI mode allows you to utilize some of the technologies introduced with SATA drives like native command queuing (NCQ) and hot-plugging. Hot-plugging allows you to remove and replace a hard drive while the system is running. I'll let you do some Google searches on NCQ since it's a little more than I want to put in this response. To start you off, I'll give you a link found by doing the Google search I recommended.

http://expertester.wordpress.com/2008/07/24/ahci-vs-ide...
m
l
April 22, 2010 9:20:41 PM

thanks for the quick response and the link. I'll begin reading asap.

but before i do i gotta ask would you recommend running in AHCI oor IDE mode?
I'm gonna install windows7 64-bit
m
l
Related resources
April 22, 2010 9:22:33 PM

I would use AHCI mode for a fresh Windows 7 install. I don't see any drawbacks to using AHCI mode.
m
l
Anonymous
May 17, 2010 12:33:23 AM

I have the GA-EX58-UD4P MB also. Rebuild with OCZ 128G SSD. BIOS would not let me install Win7 using AHCI mode (for TRIM support).
I install in the IDE mode and try to boot with AHCI, system hang during MB posting.
I have firmware F13, the latest. I thought the intel chipsets is already preloaded to allow AHCI Win 7 install. Am I missing something? Help!!!
m
l
May 17, 2010 1:41:47 AM

mcastellanos6 said:
thanks for the quick response and the link. I'll begin reading asap.

but before i do i gotta ask would you recommend running in AHCI oor IDE mode?
I'm gonna install windows7 64-bit

Knowing a little about your system could be helpfull here. Some AMD southbridge and drivers have issues with AHCI.
m
l
!