Do I have a dead motherboard?

henrygarle

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I had a PSU go wrong recently, it was working fine but it was making a funny electrical burning smell so I replaced it with a brand new, better PSU. 2 days after installing the new psu I came downstairs to see that my pc that id put into sleep still had all its chasis and component fans on. The PC was not on and is unresponsive to the powerbutton but whenever the PSU is connected and turned on all fans turn on.

Im pretty sure thats just a dead motherboard? I wanted to check before spending out for another SLI board.

Any help is apreciated!

Henry

omnisome

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010

When PSUs go wrong, they do generally do damage to the other components (CPU, GPU etc.). Is there any way you can check these parts in an other system?

henrygarle

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Yeah I thought it might have done. Unfortunatly its the only DDR3 / i5 system so I have no real way to check the CPU/Motherboard/RAM. From the few scatered bits ive found on google if all the fans are just spinning without the computer being booted its probably the motherboard. I guess ill have to take the risk and buy a motherboard :x

henrygarle

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I just purchased a new motherboard and im having exactly the same problem, What on earth is the problem?! Maybe the new PSU is faulty? Completly lost on what to do, any help would really be apreciated!

Confusedracoon

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
Could...and this is a big could.....it be a faulty graphics card....or is the system not beeping on start up or anything? if things are turning on, cpu fan, case fans, hard drives and cd drives spinning...it could just be the video adapter?

TRENDING THREADS