Annoying error message during startup

Beginning last week I get a message "Cannot find file in C\Program\...."
during the boot just after the Welcome splash screen. I can click OK, then
everything seems to work OK. Because there is no folder "C:\Program\", I
suspect a virus or some outside cause.

Has anyone heard of this as something that could be dealt with?

Thanks
JO
5 answers Last reply
More about annoying error message startup

    Try C:\Program Files

    You have something that wants to start at boot that has been removed or is
    screwed up.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:CB1651E0-435D-4FD8-A9BA-CC15ED235644@microsoft.com,
    JO <JO@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Beginning last week I get a message "Cannot find file in
    > C\Program\...." during the boot just after the Welcome splash screen.
    > I can click OK, then everything seems to work OK. Because there is no
    > folder "C:\Program\", I suspect a virus or some outside cause.
    >
    > Has anyone heard of this as something that could be dealt with?
    >
    > Thanks
    > JO

    Hi Wes :)

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message news:uBtBLog8EHA.2112@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    Try C:\Program Files

    You have something that wants to start at boot that has been removed or is
    screwed up.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:CB1651E0-435D-4FD8-A9BA-CC15ED235644@microsoft.com,
    JO <JO@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Beginning last week I get a message "Cannot find file in
    > C\Program\...." during the boot just after the Welcome splash screen.
    > I can click OK, then everything seems to work OK. Because there is no
    > folder "C:\Program\", I suspect a virus or some outside cause.
    >
    > Has anyone heard of this as something that could be dealt with?
    >
    > Thanks
    > JO

    Hi Ramesh,

    Did the tsunamis cause you any problems?

    I hope not.

    I wondered about you when I first heard the news.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:O3zOhTl8EHA.2876@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Ramesh [MVP] <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi Wes :)
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    > Try C:\Program Files
    >
    > You have something that wants to start at boot that has been removed
    > or is
    > screwed up.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > Wes
    >
    > In news:CB1651E0-435D-4FD8-A9BA-CC15ED235644@microsoft.com,
    > JO <JO@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> Beginning last week I get a message "Cannot find file in
    >> C\Program\...." during the boot just after the Welcome splash screen.
    >> I can click OK, then everything seems to work OK. Because there is no
    >> folder "C:\Program\", I suspect a virus or some outside cause.
    >>
    >> Has anyone heard of this as something that could be dealt with?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> JO

    Hi Wes,

    Thanks! I'm fine here as I live in sub-urb Chennai, 15-20 Kms (road-route) away from the Tsunami hit Marina Beach.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message news:u0Z4rXs8EHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    Hi Ramesh,

    Did the tsunamis cause you any problems?

    I hope not.

    I wondered about you when I first heard the news.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:O3zOhTl8EHA.2876@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Ramesh [MVP] <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi Wes :)
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    > Try C:\Program Files
    >
    > You have something that wants to start at boot that has been removed
    > or is
    > screwed up.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > Wes

    Glad to hear it, Ramesh! :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:ejYtDxs8EHA.3708@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Ramesh [MVP] <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi Wes,
    >
    > Thanks! I'm fine here as I live in sub-urb Chennai, 15-20 Kms
    > (road-route) away from the Tsunami hit Marina Beach.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    > Hi Ramesh,
    >
    > Did the tsunamis cause you any problems?
    >
    > I hope not.
    >
    > I wondered about you when I first heard the news.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > Wes
    >
    > In news:O3zOhTl8EHA.2876@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    > Ramesh [MVP] <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
    >> Hi Wes :)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    >> Try C:\Program Files
    >>
    >> You have something that wants to start at boot that has been removed
    >> or is
    >> screwed up.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.